Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAPALAS ?
I have heard when using Rapalas not to use a swivel. Can any one tell me what this exactly means ? I understand not to hook the swivel through the eye of the Rapala, but I usually have a swivel tied on my line and then about a 5-6ft leader with the Rapala tied to that with the famous Rapala not. Is this wrong ? Should I not be using a swivel at all ? I thought the swivel would help eliminate any line twist ?
[signature]
if your talking a rapala "plug" that you cast and retrieve i would use no swivel 1 knot instead of three is a definite plus
[signature]
since a rapala does not turn like a spinner you should not get twist unless you reel against your drag. so no swivel,rapala knot to lure will give you better action. less knots=less chance of breaking off.
[signature]
i fish a lot with rapala's and have found out the same thing.to never use a swivel next to rapala,it will kill the action of the lure.i fish mainly out of a boat trollingand at times also use a leader with a swivel.i always check my action on the lure before letting any line out,i have found out that if the swivel is at least 12inches from the lure,it dont hamper the action any.

happy fishing[Smile]
[signature]
Like what was mentioned...the action of the rapala shouldn't cause any line twist at all, so really there's no need for a swivel anywhere at all. However, if you've got the swivel 5-6ft away from the lure, that shouldn't do anything to the action of the bait, so id you insist on using the swivel where you are, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt any...but I don't think it's really doing you any good either. When people say not to use a swivel when using a rapala, they mean don't snap your rapala on directly to your snap swivel. That will hurt the action of the bait...
[signature]
I NEVER use a big clunky swivel near the business end of my line. For lures, either tie a palomar knot to the split ring OR remove the split ring and tie a loop knot (like a Trilene knot) or attach a duo-lock snap to the lure itself. Personally, I remove all split rings and use duo-lock snaps to attach directly to baits. This allows maximum movement of the bait.

For casting jigs with a spinning outfit, I might attach a swivel 6 feet above the bait. But I'll ONLY use a quality ball-bearing swivel. Those cheap brass swivels you buy in bulk are crap.
[cool] Hey Bro, the swivel will definitely kill the action. But what if you want to quick change from one Rapala to another. Floating, sinking, diving etc.....

Tying knot after knot is time consuming and takes away from quality fishing time. Check this out!!

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0011851110700a&navAction=jump&navCount=2&indexId=cat20293&podId=0011851&catalogCode=ID&parentId=cat20293&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20166&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=http%3A%2F%2Fa1460.g.akamai.net%2Ff%2F1460%2F1339%2F6h%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcontent%2FPod%2F01%2F18%2F51%2Fp011851ii01.jpg"][/url][Image: i110700sq01.jpg]

These are the "no knot fast snaps" from cabelas. I have been using them now for almost a month now and I fish quite often. These have an eye on them for tying and don't kill the action of the lures that you are using. Also they are not that expensive and come in different sizes.

Overall they will save you some tying time and give you line a chance to stay wet longer. I would highly recommend them.[Wink]
[signature]
For me, the reason I use a swivel is the ease of switching lures. I rig my lures the same way you do with several feet of leader and have rarely had a problem. I find that as long as I check my knots every time that I change lures I don't have a problem with my line breaking because of the extra knots. Because I spend a lot of time fishing for wipers I learned to check my knots after each fish is caught. For me it is just quicker to have my lures tied with leader ready to go, that way I spend less time with out a lure in the water. WH2
[signature]
Wow, this is all new to me! I feel like such a retard! Ever since I can remember I've always used a swivel snapped directly to my rapalas, and I use them quite a bit, especially on Strawberry. I've caught plenty of fish trolling or even casting that way, and I've never known the difference. I guess the action is still good enough to bring in quite a few fish. Maybe I would've brought in even more without the swivel. I just like the idea of not having to retie a know every time I change lures. I do the same thing with flatfish, kastmasters, and even jigs and plastic grubs! I'm such a failure at being a fisherman I guess. lol

Anyway, I guess I've learned something. I think those fast snaps from Cabela's might be just the thing I need. Maybe I'll have to give them a try.
[signature]
Hey Catman, now is your chance to try some of the fast snaps. It is even faster and easier than changing the swivel from one lure to the next. And they are strong too.[cool]
[signature]
I don't know if you have tried using those fast snaps on the spinners, like the one in your picture but I think you might have a problem with line twist. It might make a difference if you are trolling or not but when I troll with spinners and don't use a swivel I get bad line twist. It does look like a cool idea though for crank baits, is cabelas the only place that sells them? WH2
[signature]
I use a quality swivel up my line a couple feet whenever I fish with a Rapala, or essentially any other lure. I rarely cast lures, mostly troll them behind my boat. I have found that especially if I am trolling at a fast pace (for example fishing for wipers) some times the Rapala will spin in the water. It is probably a result of me not checking it closely enough in the water by the boat before letting out line, but when it happens, trust me you can get some monstrous line twists. I either use a Rapala knot or a snap to connect to the Rapala. I think that I will give those fast snaps a try.
[signature]
When fishing for bass, never use any swivels at all. I use the Rapala Knot. This is very efficient. It's a line tied straight to the lure itself, nothing fancy.

However when trolling for walleyes using Rapala, Smithwick, and other minnow-type crankbait. I would have it tied to the bottom bouncer which already comes equiped with swivel, then use five to six feet of line and tie it directly using the Rapala Knot.

Any swivel tied near or on the crankbait kills the true purpose and its actions as well.

As for strawberry, I have seen my friends throw all kinds of crap such as swivels with hook directly on it, or anything imaginable at trout and still caught them.

Trout's IQ usually doesn't fare well as the other species such as bass, walleye, pike etc.
[signature]
[size 1]The "no knot fast snaps" are on their way from Cabelas.[/size]
[signature]
Generally with trolling you will need some kind of reactive terminal tackle within the inline system. I have use the fast snaps on rooster tails, Panther Martins, Mepps spinners as well as others without problem. The swivel is usually better when trolling and can impede the intended action if you are using the aforementioned lures as just a crankbait from bank or tube or standstill fishing.

My recommendation stands for the type of fishing where a swivel is not required and quick lure changeover is necessary.

Even the smaller of the quick snaps can be used with dry flies without sinking. That alone changed my flyswatter habbits. I will now use my flyrod alot more because I can change fly patterns much quicker.[cool] Therefore giving me more productive fishing time.

Cabelas even has a different type of clip for walley, muskie and pike fisherman.

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0000044110226a&navAction=jump&navCount=2&indexId=cat20293&podId=0000044&catalogCode=ID&parentId=cat20293&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20166&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=http%3A%2F%2Fa1460.g.akamai.net%2Ff%2F1460%2F1339%2F6h%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcontent%2FPod%2F00%2F00%2F44%2Fp000044ii01.jpg"][Image: p000044ii01.jpg][/url]

This other type is intended for even bigger line sizes and bigger lure presentations. They attatch just a little differently than the others but I also use them on alot of my Large Mouth Bass tackle.[Wink]
[signature]
i guess you can call me "old school" i got my start at fishing in S. CA in the ocean for fish that could be line shy like bluefin tuna where the norm was 12 # line and a size 6 hook for tuna that avaraged over 30# the less the fish saw the better the rule back then was keep it simple 1 knot no hardware tough fishing you bet i got 3 bluefin in 7 years of fishing the most challangeing fish i have ever caught
[signature]
I remember those days myself. That was when you didn't want any metal showing at all and afterwards the old guys were drinking the no metal martinis. The world has changed over time and so have the fish.

Now they don't mind a little metal as long as there is enough meat on the hook for a good mouthfull.[cool]
[signature]
[#ff0000][size 3]I have noticed a difference catching more fish with out a direct swivel-Rapala hook up. Another thing I have noticed is that the Rapala knot damages mono. If you look closely, no mater how careful you are, there is ALWAYS an area weakened, curled, twisted, or streaked white when you tighten it up. If I find an abrasion like that anywhere else on my line I am sure to cut it out, the idea of having that kind of line damage at the knot doesn't sit well with me. A simple overhand loop knot works well, creates a little loop for the Rapala to "swim" on like the Rapala knot, and isn't to tough to tie. I've never had the overhand loop knot give out on me but have had the loop wear through a few times when I wasn't paying attention. The little clips are nice also but I have only used them on the bigger ones. If I am just out casting around I don't usually bother with the swivel; however, always use a swivel some where above when trolling, especially with leaded line. I splice in a section of spiderwire on the end of the leadcore, then a swivel, then leader from there. [/size][/#ff0000]
[signature]
Let me know how they work when trolling Kent, I like the idea that I could use them and not need a leader. Have you checked to see if any of the local shops carry them? WH2
[signature]
Thanks for the help.

koke
[signature]