Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are you quiting?
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I have to Smile every year about this time. What I’m smiling at is the rush to put the ice fishing gear away at the first sign of water around the shoreline of any given reservoir. Does it make it harder to get on the main deck? You betcha it does. But is the main deck melting at the speed of light? Not even close.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]The reservoir edges are now water instead of ice because the ice cap is lifting up due to the new water entering the reservoir. And this new gap of water of 1 to 5 feet isn’t freezing over night due to the unseasonably warm weather here abouts. And it isn’t likely to start freezing until the night time temps get down into the lower 20s or below which is coming later this week.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]But anybody who’s been out on the remaining ice has already found out that it is still, for the most part, the 12 to 20 inches thick that it was last week and the week before. There is still plenty of safe ice to fish from once you figure out how to get on it from shore.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]There are 2 methods that come immediately to mind; planks and chest waders. An 8 to 12 foot plank of 6 to 10 inches in width works just fine. And neoprene chest waders with 12 to 16 hundred grams of thinsulate works just as well and keeps you dry and warm no matter what the slush conditions are.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I may be done using my snowmobile to get on and move around the ice, but I sure as heck am not done ice fishing yet.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Now I’m not telling anybody to NOT follow the basic rules of ice fishing safety. You, and only you, are responsible for checking ice conditions each and every time you venture onto the hard deck. But there’s absolutely no reason to completely stop just yet.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Usually when the shorelines go to crap that is when a lot of people call it.... for a variety of reasons.

Some of us are just sick of ice fishing at this point. Sure we could get waders, a plank, etc and keep the ice season alive for a few more weeks.... but I've been ice fishing since the first of December.. I'm ready for the long rods.
[signature]
And wait for that remaining ice to recede enough to fish the edges...LOL
[signature]
I appreciate the insight. I am an avid fly fisher and a decent one at that. But have just started ice fishing the last couple of years. It is nice to hear it from some one that has been on the ice a while. I don't want to be the new fish walking across a plank to fish while the smart old timers are watching on thinking 'what the heck is that idiot doing?'

I actually had no idea that is why there was water around the edges. It makes sense, I just thought the ice was melting. Thanks for the post
[signature]
[quote Gemcityslayer]Usually when the shorelines go to crap that is when a lot of people call it.... for a variety of reasons.

Some of us are just sick of ice fishing at this point. Sure we could get waders, a plank, etc and keep the ice season alive for a few more weeks.... but I've been ice fishing since the first of December.. I'm ready for the long rods.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I certainly can't disagree with that point of view. But have you ever seen anybody post or heard anybody say they were sick of shore fishing or boat fishing and were ready for short rods? I'm not trying to be disrespectful Gem, just pulling on your chain - just a little. Have a great day. [Image: bobwink.gif][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]FlyBox,[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Here's part of a post from another site reporting on conditions at East Canyon just yesterday. This is an example of what I was talking about.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
Quote:Spent the day on the ice today 2/15/14. The ice has receded from shore about 8' or so. I drove around the entire lake and everyone was fishing by the boat ramp, that was the only place with a bridge. Someone set up a 12' ladder and boards to get onto the ice. Once on the ice, stay away from the edges, they are very soft. If you're out about 15-20' from shore the ice is about 20" thick.

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]And here's a report from Porcupine from yesterday.[/#800000][/font]

Quote:Ice is a little scary on the edge it seems to be getting wider and more rotten, however out on there is still about 12" of good ice and 6" of white bad stuff on top, probably will hold for awhile yet.

[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Bob,

The triple-distilled essence of fishing is anticipation. We can hardly wait to complete whatever we're doing so we can do the next thing: the next cast, the next bite, the next fish, the next whopper.

That holds especially true for the next season.
[signature]
I know I'm ready for soft water! I have no problems using a plank.but by this time of the year I'm tired of fishing cold and tired of seeing all the white everywhere.by fall I will be tired if soft water and ready to break out the ice gear.That's just how it goes for me.
[signature]
Bob I thought you were in Idaho fishing Cascade with the rest of the Utah bunch? I see the state record for perch was broken there yesterday at 2 lbs. 10 oz. I think it was. You can see some good pictures of the perch being brought in on Tackle Tom's site in Cascade, you will see some familiar faces with some nice perch, reminds me of the good old days at Yuba.[fishin]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Agreed Rocky, I'm anticipating my next Powell trip, getting my boat out of storage, and my next ice fishing trip this coming week. [cool] [cool] [cool][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I'm just ready to fish; any time, any place, and under almost any conditions. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Pete,[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I wanted to; bad. But I just couldn't justify the cost of going it alone. I also had a 53rd wedding anniversary to enjoy with my bride and another couple on Valentine's Day. Maybe next year. I knew about the record fish because I got a call last night from the person who caught it. Officially, according to him, it weighed 2.86 pounds which would make it 2 lbs, 13.28 ounces. Way to go Mike! [/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Congratulations on 53 years of marriage . We are having the perfect year . You can launch a boat at Ririe and fish for trout , kokannee , bass , and perch . The snake river is less than a 1/2 mile from my house and the ice is gone from there . There are still alot of places with good ice . So it just depends on what mood you are in . Time to put tags on the jet boat .
[signature]
I was wondering where you got your info from, it was a guy from Idaho that goes by Woodland that caught the fish. I think Mike spent most of last week up there on the lake trying to catch the new state record on the new bait he is advertising but Lucas actually caught it yesterday. The Wife and I had reservations up there for Thursday thru Sunday but due to the weather conditions we decided not to go. We don't have a snowmobile only ATVs and I had been in contact with some friends in Idaho who fish Cascade pretty regular and they told me it would be pretty rough with ATV's to get around. In another month or so we should be able to start picking the walleye up. The "SNAG FEST" in the inlet channel at Willard should start sooner than that. [:/]
[signature]
[quote dubob][quote Gemcityslayer]Usually when the shorelines go to crap that is when a lot of people call it.... for a variety of reasons.

Some of us are just sick of ice fishing at this point. Sure we could get waders, a plank, etc and keep the ice season alive for a few more weeks.... but I've been ice fishing since the first of December.. I'm ready for the long rods.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I certainly can't disagree with that point of view. But have you ever seen anybody post or heard anybody say they were sick of shore fishing or boat fishing and were ready for short rods? I'm not trying to be disrespectful Gem, just pulling on your chain - just a little. Have a great day. [.img][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/bobwink.gif[/img][/#800000][/font][/quote]"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...000][/font][/quote][/url]
[/quote]
[#000000]
Don't know about folks complaining about being sick of wet water, but - I have heard from/of plenty who do look forward to and anticipate getting out on the hard deck. I'm sure fellow ice anglers would agre, it ads a different perspective being right on top of the water, but still and steady. Plus the whole exchange of gear and approaches.
I know one thing that kinda spooked me out one trip to Newton, wasnt so much the ice, but the roads out. Got there early, and the ground was frozen solid. By afternoon-time when we left, the parking area had thawed to a muddy muck mess. And the drive out was a swirly wirly mod bog. Made it ok, good to have buddies in case we got bogged down.

Just know I missed out on all sorts of planned adventures this year. Darned life getting in the way of good fishing! Hope the spring brings better opportunities.

Maybe once I'm retired, and not just tired again...[/#000000][/#800000][/font]
I am done until softwater. Mamatrout had surgery last week so I am hoping to be able to get out next month when ice is pretty much gone on the lower elevation waters.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]I am done until softwater. Mamatrout had surgery last week so I am hoping to be able to get out next month when ice is pretty much gone on the lower elevation waters.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your bride, and yep, I'll be fishing then also. [Smile][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Amen brother,
My friend and I have gone to the Berry when there is 30+ yards of open water around the edge, waded out and climbed on the ice and had phenomenal success. Need to take a hammer to smack the edge of the ice so you get rid of the soft edges. Ice sled makes a good raft and the chest waders are plenty tall for most of the Berry's shore on the north side. Since its an adventure for the strong willed but weak minded we have always had the whole lake to ourselves. We have also hit the Uintah lakes when the ice is coming off and fished the shore, throwing night crawlers onto the edge of the ice and pulling them into the water. You can see the fish at times following the worm along the ice until they can pounce on it when it hits water. There usually isn't a sole around either, so double bonus.
[signature]
[url "http://www.ksl.com/?sid=28740909&nid=148&title=two-teens-rescued-after-chunk-of-ice-floated-from-reservoir-shore&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-14"]http://www.ksl.com/?sid=28740909&nid=148&title=two-teens-rescued-after-chunk-of-ice-floated-from-reservoir-shore&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-14[/url]

For this reason.

Conditions can change quickly and I don't like to be wet and cold.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[quote a_bow_nut][url "http://www.ksl.com/?sid=28740909&nid=148&title=two-teens-rescued-after-chunk-of-ice-floated-from-reservoir-shore&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-14"]http://www.ksl.com/...e&s_cid=queue-14[/url]

For this reason.

Conditions can change quickly and I don't like to be wet and cold.[/quote][Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]As you can see ABN, I'm smiling. The KSL article talks about the CURRENT conditions at Grantsville Reservoir where the ice has clearly deteriated to the point of a small sheet of ice (which was strong enough to support the weight of the two teenagers by the way) floating in a large amount of open water. Compare that to Pineview, Rockport, Strawberry, Hyrum, Porcupine, Mantua, etc., etc., etc., that have NO open water other than a very narrow band around the edges. There is no place for the main ice to go. The main ice has been reported to be more than safe on several of these other reservoirs and there is absolutely NO chance of being stranded on any of them as were the two teens were on Grantsville.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]But hey, quit if you must. As for me, I'll be on Mantua tomorrow morning.[cool][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah