Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell
We headed down to lake Powell about 4:00am and was at the check station by 8:00.. The lake is LOW real LOW, they have two launch ramps the main one at Bullfrog is very low and a LONG walk to the top and harder to launch out of..
We headed up lake we wanted to check out Whites canyon and the others up that way, well you can't get to Whites by way of the water..
The first pictures are just after the big bend as you look toward Whites we are setting in about 2' of water with the river flowing past..

We was going to camp up this way but headed back down lake to Good hope..Fishing for LM or SM bass was slow at first or should I say finding them..Walleye seemed to be all over and we got lots of them when we tried Stripers was the same in some areas (backs of any canyon) we looked in, we had heard that the fish was in poor shape but we found them to be in good shape and we seen shad all over in about every canyon we went in..
The first night was cool with no tent and just sleeping on the open bass boat..
The next morning was looking better as we woke to fish jumping in the cove we was in, yep Stripers and eyes..

We found the bass as well both LM & SM with more Walleyes mixed in..

In about two to three hr. we boated over 40 Stripers and ten eyes in one morning..We headed back to Bullfrog for this night and to get ready for a BASS Tournament on Saturday..We hoped we was going to do better then we ended up but like it is in fishing the fish we hoped to catch we just couldn't get to bite..

In the four days we spent fishing we boated over 80 Stripers 20 Walleyes and 9 LM & 30+ SM bass, the Stripers went from 13" up to 21 1/2" most was 4# up to 8# the Eyes was from about 2# up to 6.9# the bass went from 10" up to 4.6# All bass was released to get bigger the Stripers was all used and some was gave away (about 30 or 40) we kepted 16 walleye the rest was let go for other trips..

[signature]
Thank you for your report! We are headed down this Thursday. What was the water temp down there?
[signature]
Sounds like a fun trip, thanks for sharing your report and pics Cliff. Could you tell if the walleyes were spawned out already? By the way did the parks folks decontaminate the boat, with power washer, when you got there or when you were leaving?
[signature]
Nice report and great pictures! The weather looks great in the pictures, with the water is almost like glass. I'm jealous and will making a trip to Powell soon.
[signature]
Nice report cliff, looks like you had a great time.
[signature]
Water temps was the first day 49 day two went up to 50 day three up to 53 and day four at 52 all of the temps was at first thing in the morning..
[signature]
They was doing some boats that had been on some waters from out of state..And they was going to do all boats before they would leave to head home.. The boat we was in was going to be stored there till next weekend for another tournament..
[signature]
Each morning we had a little wind and clouds but by afternoon it would be very nice..
[signature]
Great report Cliff.

Were you able to boat back to Bullfrog in your foward gear this trip?
[signature]
I'm glad to hear they are decontaminating boats as the got off the water, that is a big step in keeping the mussels from spreading. Thanks for the info.
[signature]
I haven't been down there but I can guarantee the eyes are spawned out over there simply based on what's going on up north here lol.[Wink]
[signature]
Yes the eyes all seemed to be spawned already..In the past they spawn in late Jan. and into Feb..
[signature]