Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firs Post and Questions Concerning Guides
So, I've been fly fishing for about a year now and next week will be the first time I've ever hired a guide. So, are you supposed to tip a guide? How much or what percentage are you supposed to tip? I don't want to break the bank but I definitely do not want to stiff the guy either.

We'll be floating the Green and I'm hoping to learn as much as possible for repeat trips on my own. I've gone to the Green and fished the A section one other time and it was tragically unproductive. I caught a few, but it was nothing to brag about, and my wife destroyed me with a spinning reel and rapala.

Anyways, I appreciate any help you can give me.
[signature]
My first fly fishing trip was with a guide on the Green. We each caught 25+ fish and the guide taught us how to cast, rig, and mend for nymph fishing. He was very patient, and when we got into a group of fish, he would row us up stream so we could float through again. On top of that, he made us some great hamburgers while we sat on a sandy beach and enjoyed the view. It's a great way to jump start your fly fishing skills. A good guide really earns his money.

Yes you tip, but it should really be based on how much effort the guide puts in trying to give you an unforgettable day on the river. Assume price is $400, a 15% tip is $60, so $60 to $100 seems the norm, but maybe some guides will chime in on what they think is a fair tip.

Guides are so expensive that i can only afford it once a year, but when you consider all you get (boat, rods, lunch, drinks, 8-hours of rowing, and tons of advice), you do get your money's worth.
[signature]