Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba 5/17-18
We had a blast camping over the weekend. We tried mainly for Pike but heard from several others that walleye just aren't hitting.

We started the morning doing some casting from the boat moving slowly using the electric motor. Only one bite, but I missed it. Too bad because I was hoping to get my sister in law her first pike. When it was time to head back for the morning to grab some lunch and get the kids for some shore fishing we decided to troll back to the dock for some walleye, my sister in law finally got a fish on!! with a great fight! and then she lost it.

After lunch we took the kids down by the painted rocks boat launch where we heard they had planted perch. Didn't get any perch but all the kids caught a carp within 20 minutes. My brother in law stayed with a few of the kids to keep fishing with them while we went back out on the boat. My seven year old nephew told his dad that he wanted one more fish but can we PLEASE put this one back. My brother in law agreed until the seven year old reeled in a 26" Pike off a worm and bubble. He kept it for dinner.

Meanwhile from the boat, fishing was starting to pick up, Sadly my sister in law didn't join us this time. We fished with some cousins from Montana who were able to show us some new pike lures and some tricks of the trade. He landed one 6 pound pike and his wife hooked into the biggest pike of the trip, but it got away one foot from the boat. She did get a couple more bites that night but nothing quite that big. My wife almost had a fish on, but when she saw the mouth come out of the water for her lure she set the hook to early. She's quite pissed off about it still. I landed one 8.5 pound fish for the night putting me at biggest fish landed.

The next morning we started later after cleaning up camp and eating a big breakfast. the wind had died down so we tried to get on the lake as fast as possible with my wife and sister in law. Still trying to catch her a pike. My wife got a pretty decent fish and I got a tiny little man right underneath the boat. but still none for my sister in law. The wind picked up and the electric was almost out of juice so we headed in to finish the day with some shore fishing.

My wife being competitive stuck with the shore fishing even though it was pretty dang windy. Wouldn't you know she had to catch the biggest pike of the trip coming in at nine pounds. Story of my life, always beaten by the girls.

To bad we will have to take another trip to get a pike for my sister in law.

there are some great youtube videos out there on cutting the Y bones out, they sure are some tasty fish once you get those bones out.

Spawning should be here really soon as they were all full of eggs. One pike had five plus perch in its belly, guess we know where those are going.
[signature]
Glad to hear someone is finally finding some pike. Headed down this weekend with the rest of town.
[signature]
Great report. I need to get down there again soon. Looks like the perch feed is on. Those pike will be well fed soon.
[signature]