Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to Cutler
Decided I've had enough of the bugs and power squadron at Willard for awhile. Went for the early calm and quiet at Benson Marina. Before I could get there, I stopped at my usual place for some worms. Guy in a tow truck pulled in behind me and said my left turn light on the boat trailer was out. SHOOT ! I just changed the bulb 2 weeks ago. Guess who DOES NOT carry 1157 bulbs ? Anyway, stopped at the Pilot Truck Stop, got bulbs. Presto -- new bulbs (yea, changed them both) left side STILL don't blink ![mad] Well you have been an aircraft electrician for over 40 years Tin Can, figure it out! I did. A broken wire at the bulb socket. Quick fix and there ya go, it works again ! NOW, on the road to Benson. The little docks are out now at the Benson Marina. Seems like maybe the water level is up about a foot since last time I was there.

Got over to the west side, still only about 3 ft. deep there. Tossed out one line with a worm, and before I could get the second one out, tug, tug. Mister Little Carp came to offer his services as additional bait.

[inline "(031) 26 May 2014 Carp that donated bait.JPG"]

T gladly accepted his selfless sacrifice. And integrated some in with the worms.

[inline "(032) Bait, worms and Carp.JPG"]

Although, it ended up to be all for nothing. Nothing wanted any of that fresh golden Tarpon.
Did get one medium size Cat on some worms. Did the CPT thing and let him go. Maybe Yote will catch him next. [Wink]

[inline "(033) Cat 22 inch forgot BFT Placard.JPG"]

Don't any of you Cat Fish Contest guys worry too much. He ain't that big. But he can add to the North Team point total. 22 inches. BFT Catfish Contest Placard ? What placard ? Shoot.....did I forget to put that in the photo, AGAIN ?

Nope. But I did turn the fish around to get his nose out of the shadow so Yote can see all of him.[cool]
That photo? Oh, it's on the Contest Thread. [sly]

Other than that, another bunch of yellow bellies out of the nursery near the bridge, and right on time, the wave runners and skiers showed up about 1:30. My cue to pack it up and head home.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I thought that was your boat out there. Me and my two boys walked up the west side to the little irrigation channel that is cut back in. I was in the bright orange shirt... Me and the boys only got one cat 23" and about a dozen monster carp. My son who is 15 caught an 8 lb. cat there at that spot on Saturday evening. Sun was plenty warm today...
[signature]
I saw the bright orange shirt. But at that distance, that's about all these old eyes could see. I did see the irrigation channel on my way back past heading south about 11. Only second time on the water there, and still feeling my way around. A bit wary of the shallowness. Was only 2.7 ft. where I was anchored almost straight out from where you were. I can see why so many use canoes or tubes or yaks in there. I got a 26" Cat in that same area last Saturday (17 May) but I forgot to put the BFT banner in the photo......[frown]
And yes it was a warm day. Not too hot, but was glad for my sun top.
[signature]

Cool
You had me worried there for a minute! Those banners are a tuff thing for some entrants (right Jeff?). But I've had occasions where someone claimed a photo wasn't current, and other stories of mayhem. Like a fly-fisher taking out the spinner, and sticking in a fly to make the photo. Might as well go to the grocery and buy a whole King Salmon and lay it down... wow - really.

Have you tried going under the bridge and heading south? The trestle bridge can draw crappie, and seen some nice bass come out of there. THAT too is a mudcat nursery.

There's a number of "pockets" that seem to hold minnows, and draw spawning fish. A few have some nice wood jams and reed beds the fish seem to like.

Glad you got out, and got into some fish.
PS: I can zoom, but I can't un-crop.
I could probably go under the highway bridge, but last week I didn't feel like dropping my sun top, today there were lots of people fishing both ends on the bridge base, and at least 1 other boat under or almost under it.
[signature]

Cool
PS: I can zoom, but I can't un-crop

Did I crop something out of the photo ? I resized it to fit the post, but didn't crop anything. Is that photo from today good?
[signature]

Cool