Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mohave - 06/07
Hit the water out of cottonwood at 6 am on the pontoon. Had my girl and 3 yr old daughter with me this trip. We headed north first, skipped the cliffs on the east, there were already 4+ boats hitting those areas. Focused on the west side of the lake, hitting points with good drops at the mouths of larger coves. Pulled in a couple of LMB and 5 SMB, big fish was about 3 lbs but all fish were healthy. No issues with hook setting this week. Found one point that had a lot of nice bass cruising in 25 ft of water. Seemed that most fish were on the edges of points in 20-30 ft, not a lot running shallow and the ones that were are small. Spot fishing saw several 5lb class fish but they were being very picky. There were some small bass hanging out by the PVC structures in the cove north of cottonwood, but not worth spending much time on.

After a few hours we headed south and hit a favorite cove with some good cover (submerged trees) in 18 ft of water. Lots of smallies cruising in 20-30 ft, water clarity was great so very easy to spot. LMB were staying in the trees. Sure enough as soon as we figured out the hot color for soft baits the wind picked up and was too much to fish without constantly having to re-position the pontoon. Still managed a couple 2.5 lbs SMB in just a few minutes...they were the smaller fish in the immediate area. For the most part all we threw was football jigs and drop shotting senkos. I tossed all kinds of colors at the bass but all the quick hits came on 5" YUM worms in green with sparkles. That color never made it to the bottom.

Sorry no pics to share, spent more time taking pictures of my lovely girlfriend fishing in here bikini. Not sure most are appropriate for this place :-)

Moving to Seattle in a few weeks so this may have been my last trip out but it was a good one! Spent the remainder of the day with some friends on a beach listening to some music and drinking beer. Good times.
[signature]
Hey Billy, thanks for the report. I thought I saw you out of Callville on Friday, but you were heading to Mohave. Rigt on. I've been meaning to make it down to Mohave but just haven't. Best of luck to you in Seattle. You could make us all jealous with the great fishing opportunities up there (or pics of your girlfriend, haha). Thank you for all your contributions to nevada BFT over the years. We hope to hear from you again in the future. Fish on.
[signature]