Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod/Reel questions
Hi everyone!

I haven't fished in a long time and got no gear. Going up to Whiskeytown lake California for 8 days in early september. The lake has from bluegill to salmon in terms of size, so I am looking for some help picking a rod and reel.

I am partial to spincasters since that's what I'm familiar with. I've got about a $200 budget to cover both rod and reel combined. I went out to Kmart, big 5 and a few others to try out the feel of the rods and reels and found myself partial to the shimano. I found the ugly sticks too stiff.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank You.
[signature]
Shimano makes good stuff overall. some of my favorite rods and reels that I have owned have been Shimano. I cycle often, Shimano is my first choice for gearing.

Rod choice is determined by bait/lure used usually but if your assaulting multiple species with one rod...If your going to want to fish in or around weeds you may want to consider a medium-heavy action, it won't give as much and moves the bait easier but is terror on small crankbait lips, if you may use them occasionally for bluegill.

Myself, if I was choosing a graphite rod for your situation, I would personally like the rod in ultralight or light power with fast or extra fast action. I would like a 5' one piece or a 6'6"-7' 2pc. #10 power pro for the line. But that's just me, I know I would have fun in a place I hadn't been before, if nothing else.

For $200 on rod and reel for someone renew to fishing, I would recommend to them to consider, the new Team Daiwa T rod ($70) in medium power with a Quantum Smoke 25pti reel ($120 or less on sale).

Its more important that it feel right to you. If one rod just feels better to you than any other, then that's prolly the one best for you.
[signature]
Great advice on the set up. BTW Have a great trip Whiskeytown and let us know how you do?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Thank you for the advice, it's definitely appreciated. I wonder about the particular setup you chose for the amount of money I have available. Is it because that's the best I can get for that price for what I need? Is something comparable in Shimano (also a big fan, it's also my go to for cycling parts[Smile] )much higher ? I can go up a little bit, though not much. I still have to buy all the tackle.
[signature]
I will absolutely let you know how the trip goes. Everyone is so helpful here. Gotta let you all know how it works out.
[signature]
Your welcome, always glad to offer my opinion, especially to a fellow cyclist and angler! :-)

I like quantum Performance Shop reels a lot myself. I grew up trusting my old zebco casting reels and in the nineties I got my first high end quantum reel. I used that reel for years and gave it away to a friend whom used it for years. It was stolen, wouldn't surprise me if it is still working. I really like the Smoke, I don't know if its my bias or what. If you plan on spending $100+ on a reel, at least try check one out. I know Dicks has them for 120 and most places price match nowadays.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Shimano fishing products at all. being comfortable with our equipment is the main thing. The convergence and the clarus would be as far up the line in rods that I would want to go myself. After that, they are mostly technique specific and not greatly beneficial as a do it all rod, imho.

I like a lower priced rod for general fishing, the graphite used is a softer sort compared to the $150 rods (generally) The Team Daiwa T is, in my opinion, one of the best all around graphite rods. if you pay less than 70 for a rod it won't be near as good and when we pay much more the graphite is more rigid which is less forgiving but only a hair more sensitive.
If you are just simply more comfortable with Shimano yourself personally ,don't hesitate to buy the most comfortable rod with their name on it and the most expensive reel they make to finish out your budget. It won't be a bad choice. I would go with medium power fast action if I was in your shoes. Even if you add rods in the future, the medium has many places.

look forward to hearing your decision.
[signature]
make sure when you pick out your rod modle and reel modle that you match them up together for line size.

yep line size mach dose matter.

also getting line for spin casters aposed to bait casters also matters. Using baitcaster line on a spinning reel will result in a birds nest inside your reel.
Thanks! I had remembered about matching rod and reel, but i forgot about the line. Much appreciated.
[signature]
Bass Pro Shops makes some great, and inexpensive, graphite rods. I was partial to Ugly Sticks for a long time too, but I agree they are too stiff. These BPS rods I bought are awesome - love fishing plastics with them because I can feel everything that touches the bait.

As for spinning reels, I have a Shimano Spirex which has a rear drag feature I really like. I also have a Pfleuger 6900 series that I love. Both are my go to's. I think they both came with extra spools which is great too.
[signature]