Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo River Today - aka I hate tubers
So I was fishing the Provo today and doing extremely well using an iron lotus for an anchor fly and a hare's ear off of a tag. I would say 3 out of four hit the iron lotus. There were surprisingly few other anglers on the river as well.

The tubers however were EVERYWHERE and amazingly inconsiderate. I had a girl park her tube and go running upstream directly through the hole I was fishing, spilling her beer and tossing her can in the river as she went. I was about to gripe at her, but a 17" brown took my fly as she was splashing around next to my line.... go figure.

So I was wading pretty aggressively a little later. I would say the water was a little above my waist. Now I do know that tubers cannot control where they are going, and I should have seen this sooner, but a group of ten or so tubers came down the river holding onto each other in a line across the river. I told them as they were coming that the river was too wide and too swift for me to get around them and they would have to let me through. Instead they held onto each other and swept me over the drop off that I was fishing. I don't know how deep it was, but I do know my feet could not touch the bottom and my waders filled with water. I had to hold onto the line of tubes to stay above water and ride with them downstream until I could walk again. It would be funny if it weren't so aggravating. It's not like I was in the middle of the river either, I was probably within 15 feet of the bank.

At least the fishing was really good. A quick note on the picture of the rainbow trout. I don't normally put fish on the shore for a picture, but he was tangled up in somebody's line, flies, and splitshot, and I had to set him there to untangle him. I figured I'd get the orvis dork picture quickly before sending him on his way. Hopefully he made it.
[signature]
Nice fat bow [shocked].
[signature]
Quote:I hate tubers...

I don't know why. I rather like potatoes, especially with lots of sour cream. Smile Not a big fan of sweet potatoes or yams though.

And, yes, that is a nice fat rainbow.

Matt
[signature]
Too bad about the "tuber's," at least you were catching fish. I was on the middle today and it was HIGH! No good hatches at all.
[signature]