Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transducer mounting help
After a frustrating trip to the Gorge wherein we caught 0 Kokanee, I'm finally committed to buying a fish finder. That being said, I'm not sure what the best way it to mount it to my boat and how to run the transducer cable.

I've got a '92 Maxum 1900 SR2 fiberglass runabout and a lot of the installation videos on youtube show people running the transducer cable on the outside of the transom and up over the top. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to run this cable? Once it's inside the boat, I can run it hidden up through the side storage compartments, but just not sure what to do with it on the outside of the boat.
[signature]
Mount the transducer per mfr. instructions. To run the cable, I'd drill a hole just barely big enough to accommodate the cable plug. Drill the hole as close to directly above the transducer as possible. I'd suggest drilling it in the brown area on the transom at least 12" above where you'd ever expect water to reach. You can seal the hole with any good quality silicone sealer. If cosmetics are important, you may be able to buy a brown silicone that comes close to matching your boat. Get two or three small plastic, or rubber coated stainless steel cable clips to secure the exposed cable to the transom and you're in business.
[signature]
I would drill a hole like GEEZER said it is not that hard to do.
get a good fishfinder that will show the downrigger balls and put the balls just above the fish.

here is a snapshot of my fishfinder you can see my 3 downrigger balls and the light top line is a stacker line about 55 ft down.
I don't have any trouble catching kokes at FG.
I also like to check the water temp. down to 80' kokes like water at 52 to 54 deg. I will put at least one line at that Temp.

[url "http://www.fishwithgary.com/kokanee_university_part1.html"]http://www.fishwithgary.com/kokanee_university_part1.html[/url]
[signature]
You could also use a transducer that is a "shoot through the the hull design". Then you wouldn't have to drill holes in your boat. I don't know if that would work for your application, but it is an idea. You would probably get a better reading with the transducer on the outside though.
[signature]
on my boat I drilled about a 3/4 inch hole above the water line passed the cable through and filled the hole with silicon. the I installed a clam shell trim over the top. I didn't see any down riggers on you boat do you have them? what method were you using to try and catch your kokes ?
[signature]
Thanks for the help and suggestions gentlemen! Can't wait to finally have a view under the boat. Smile
[signature]
[#000000][size 5]DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN YOUR BOAT!!![/size][/#000000]

Get an inexpensive synthetic cutting board at Walmart. Use a hacksaw to cut a 3" x 5" piece. Mount this to the back of your boat using Marine Adhesive Sealant 4200 or 5200 (quick set). Then, mount the transducer with stainless, self-tapping or sheetmetal type screws. Only drill pilot holes in the cutting board. I've used this on several boats now and you'll never have holes in your boat and when you inevitably get a new depthfinder you can remount the new transducer to the same cutting board. (the holes never align with the old transducer mounting holes).
[signature]
I wish that I would have thought of using a cheap cutting board when I was repairing my filler hose on my boat. I could have saved some dollars. Well, at least you gave me a great idea on how to do the repair, when i pull everything back out again in a week or two to install a vent and to put in a new fuel line to the tank.
[signature]