Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we leave the Utah board the way it is or.....
Over the years we have tried many things to keep the Utah board running smooth, some members agree with our actions others don't. This is an attempt to show members, that have been hesitant on posting reports, for fear of ridicule, that we want to see and read their fishing reports and will take the steps necessary to insure they do not feel this way. I'm sure there will be members that will not like this, if we decide to go this route but if members are making post, about legally caught fish, we feel this is what we need to do to get more members posting about their fishing trips.
You may ask where we draw the line, we will take a wait and see approach but one thing that would help us greatly is, if members see something they feel is out of line in a post or reply, that they hit the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for any comments you would like to express on this subject. Here are a few ideas to respond to.
Do you feel comfortable posting your fishing trips here?
Yes or No
If no, why?
What could be done to encourage members to report their fishing trips ?
WH2
[signature]
The only thing that makes me hesitant to post a fishing report is the popularity of the site and the number of non-registered "lurkers" who benefit without adding anything.

I'd really like a "registered members only" place to post some fishing reports.
[signature]
As the saying goes: "Everyone is entitled to their opinion." notice it isn't plural. No "opinions". If someone would like to comment on an initial post, so be it. The internet is now the picket sign of the modern age. If one doesn't like a certain view/person/culture in society all they need to do is hit a "reply" button and their voice AND views are seen by hundreds... or thousands. One reply or "sign" is all that should be allowed. When the bickering and banter continue after ther fact, then a "parent/moderator" should step in and warn said offender of the rules. This isn't baseball. This is babysitting(grown adults) at it's finest. You're warned, then disciplined. End of story.
[signature]
We do have a board like that, it's called the R & R(Rough & Rowdy) board, the problem is even though few members can view it and no lurkers, few are posting on it and you need to ask for access to it, to post or view it.
[signature]
I'm a newer member. I'm excited to post reports, but I've not posted ones that seemingly include nothing of use or interest. For example, my son and I hit Oquirrh Lake the other night and he caught a bunch of bluegill while I got skunked going for bass. I didn't think a report of that trip would contribute a whole lot to the knowledge base here at the forum.

On the other hand, even if the trip is a simple one (like above), I will take the time to post a report when I have pictures. I enjoy the encouragement I've received from others, and I love posting pics of my kids with their catch.

As far as negative posts, I don't mind 'em. When negative posts are edited out, this prevents the regular users from seeing all the posted opinions of others ("true colors"). It seems like the users are pretty good at policing and supporting each other. I think as adults, we should be able to handle a fair amount of differing opinions. Filthy language or name-calling--that's unacceptable; but I've not seen that. Also, on some boards there's a way to block posts from certain users. I'll have to check the settings here.

I really appreciate this forum and I'm glad I found it. Last year I began this hobby with my son and it went very poorly. This year, we've met with much more success, largely in part to the help from people on this forum. Now, we are officially hooked (probably too much), and I can't get enough.

Happy fishing!

-Aaron
[signature]
Well that is not exactly true. On BFT members have to follow the rules and if the rules are changed, where members can't post negative comments about another members thread, your comment can, and will be deleted. That is the purpose of this thread, to see what direction this board will go. We keep reading more and more comments about members not posting any more because of the negative replies they get, if the majority does not like negative replies, it is well within our rights as mods to make changes so the majority feel welcomed to post.
[signature]
Leave it as is. Discussion and disagreement are good things. That does not mean that name-calling or personal attacks should be allowed. Such behavior is rude, crass, and detrimental to the board.
[signature]
Leave it the way it is. Discussion is a good thing as long as name calling and personal attacks are not part of it.
[signature]
Maybe it's a marketing issue. I wouldn't request nor be drawn to read something called the "rough and rowdy" board.

I would be drawn to read something entitled "Members only Fishing Reports".
[signature]
Fair enough. As Rocky said, a personal opinion does open a discussion to differing views on a similar subject, but what exactly qualifies as "negative"? If someone feels that they have something (even contrary) to offer should they be in fear of responding?
[signature]
WH2 -- just my own opinion here, for whatever it may be worth:

UOTF died. Why? In my own opinion it is because they did not allow reports. Without fishing reports, what do you have? Equipment, regulations, techniques, etc., will all eventually be discussed and there will be nothing left. Without reports, this site will also die.

Reports are good. Pictures with those reports are even better. That's why we come to these sites. Take them away and you lose your main source of traffic. Why would you even consider that?

At a time when Utah fisheries managers are asking the public to help many of our fisheries by encouraging the harvest of fish, would it make sense to discourage reports? NO!

Do I feel comfortable posting fishing reports (including names of places fished)? ABSOLUTELY!

What can be done to encourage more fishing reports? STOP DISCOURAGING THEM!

hold some contests: photo contests, name-that-place contests, challenges, etc.
[signature]
I agree fishing reports are the reason to visit.

I've learned valuable fishing lessons asking tactic and equipment questions from successful contributors to the board.

Pictures are even better!

I've also learned to be entertained by the "Monday Morning Biologists" but I do see how some could be turned off by their... ah... zeal... at times.
[signature]
I have to agree with the popularity factor being the discouraging part of posting. A couple posts about good fishing and a location gets over run. I know some places can handle it, but others can't so I'm starting to post a lot less than I used to, plus I think everyone is bored of my minnow tails. One other discouraging factor is the difficulty of posting photos in line. Make that easier for us lazy non wizard types. Later J
[signature]
You moderators have been absolutely EXCELENT in finding the middle ground. Yes, a lot of work and a very thankless job. (Good thing the wages are high.)

I absolutely love how this board has been cared for.

PLEASE ... PLEASE ... PLEASE ... DO NOT CHANGE THINGS!!!

If mud slinging was allowed, many a good fishing report would go away to more respectable places.
[signature]
I think we do need a members only section. Or maybe say 50 post and then access is granted. Cause the problem I have posting reports a lot is the lurkers.
[signature]
[quote Catcherman.]I think we do need a members only section. Or maybe say 50 post and then access is granted. Cause the problem I have posting reports a lot is the lurkers.[/quote]

I like the idea of the members only board you suggest.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]

We keep reading more and more comments about members not posting any more because of the negative replies they get...

[/quote]

I question whether this is a reality.

First, a reality that you are actually seeing more of these comments now than you have seen in the past several years, or just think that is the case.

Second, that should you decide to moderate more aggressively that these members would in fact post more often.

Third, I question that you would get more posts, in total from all members, should you moderate more aggressively.

I believe the moderating is about right and has been about right for a long time. There are likely a few posters who would post more; however, many just quit posting because their interests have changed or for other reasons.
[signature]
I am one who very seldom if ever post a fishing report. I still fish and just as much if not more, but a couple of bashings and I was done with it.

I fished yesterday, great place, great fishing, no report about it though and there won't be.

All that said, I think things are fine the way they are. Moderators moderate in a fair and even manner and do not allow anything to go to far.

lastly, BFT is Utah's board. We have the most comprehensive active board of any state that I know of, something must be getting done right. The next most active states are right next to us and Utahn's post many of the threads there. I think Kent and I are the most active posters on the NY page.
[signature]
The reason for the R&R name is because there were members that requested a more open forum but I also wanted to be able to post reports without lurkers seeing the post. It never did catch on but it was tried on the UWN forum as well, with little success. For some reason, members wanted their post viewed by as many members as possible, not just the ones that had access to that board. There were likely other reasons why it did not work out as well.
[signature]
Yeah... that sounds like an "I want to be free to cuss here" forum, not a Fishing report forum.

Not interested.

There are three requests already for a Members Only Fishing Report area. I'd favor one with all the other board standards applicable -- but a place where I can communicate with fellow contributors.

That said, there are still a bunch of fishing reports I'd post openly because I want to brag to anyone who will read

[fishin]
[signature]