Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats a tip up?
Can someone explain to me what a 'tip up' is? I hear it all the time but I dont know what it is.[unsure]
Thanks
[signature]
it is a machanical device, set and left unattended untill the flag goes up indicating that your device needs attention.

they are used for pike, walleye, trout, and others.

I will post a pic of one here later. there are numrous types of tipups, and all have thier own benificial factors from price to how it is set up and others.
[signature]
when ice fishing, some states let you use multiple poles in multiple holes

the idea is when you get a strike, the flag or tip-up goes up . . its a strike indicator . .

sm
[signature]
Its a fun way to fish on the ice, I have a paging system connected to mine. When the flag goes up, my pager lets me know.

here are two basic styles...
[signature]
thats a new one for me, how do you hook up a pager on a tipup?
[signature]
Here is there web site. You can learn everything you want. [url "http://strikesensor.com/pages/Ice_Fishing.shtml"]http://strikesensor.com/pages/Ice_Fishing.shtml[/url]
[signature]
hey dave, hahathose are some different than the ones we got. i still got the ones gramp had haha with the alunimun strip with the red flannel flag on em. haha ancient!. we can use as many as we want here, don,t matter. use to be you,d look out over the back waters of lake champlain and that,s all you,d see is those old one stuk up everywhere. haha. still can,.[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks alot guys, now I know. That pager one looks pretty cool.
[signature]
Here in Cali, since we don't have ice, we use the word tip up to refer to a baiting method. When we tip up a lure or jig, we are adding a piece of worm or other type of bait onto the hook for added scent and attraction to the fish species that we are fishing for.

In the salt water fishing they call that same method, Chunking.
[signature]
on the subgect of tip ups , if your in an ice shanty closed door is that concidered leaving one unattended ? if there's a window in the shanty dose it make it legal to have the door closed ? or will having a line attached to the tip up and the other end to you make it an attended device ?
i never was quite sure on the regulations for a tip up .
[signature]
I beleive what is meant here is,

you cant set a tip up in place and run accross the lake or back home and come back every hour or so.

you should always be were you can look at it, if at least to open a door or a peep hole in the shanty to see if the flag is up. this way you can attend to the needs of your line.

I think is what is ment here is that placing a set line in place and coming back in a couple hours is the same as setting a trout line. in michigan setting of trout lines is prohibited. any thing similar to a trout line is also prohibited.

for further understanding, look at lawfull methods of catching snapping turtles in the michigan fishing guide. (provided they havent changed it)

when you combine the three, tipups trout lines and lawful methods of fishing for snappers you get an understanding of what is ment by un attended.

it is just good pratice to be in a position where you can land your fish at a moments notice, you dont want a undersized fish to swallow the hook and die because you were not there to set the hook at the right time.
[signature]
NOPE , BUT CLOSE !
I HEAR OF GUYS GETTING TICKETS BECAUSE THEY ARE IN THERE SHANTY WITH THE DOOR CLOSED , OTHERES DON'T GET TICKETS BECAUSE THEY HAVE A WINDOW (DOOR CLOSED ). I WAS JUST WONDERING IF A STRING , OR EVEN A SOUND MAKING DEVICE WOULD MAKE THE TIP UP LEGAL TO THOSE GUYS WITHOUT WINDOWS IN THERE SHANTY .
I DON'T HAVE AN ENCLOSED SHANTY , THIS QUESTION IS STRICTLY OUT OF CUROSITY AS TO WHAT THE LAWS CONCIDERED UNATTENDED .
IF A BLIND MAN WAS FISHING WHILE IN A WINDOWED SHANTY WITH A TIP UP HE COULDN'T SEE THE FLAG BUT HE WOULD BE LEGAL , NOW A GUY IN A NON WINDOW SHANTY WOULD GET A TICKET .
WOULD AN ELECTRONIC DEVICE OR A MECHANICAL SOUND MAKING DEVICE MAKE IT LAWFULL FOR BEING "ATTENDED" ?
JUST LIKE USING A BELL ON A ROD WHILE CATFISHING AT NIGHT ?
[signature]
I would not be surprized if those guys did not open the door or have peep holes to open and check on their tipups. the point is being unatended. so if they were looking out the door every 10 15 minutes they would not have gotten a ticket.

I saw a guy who had a pop up tent with a window and got a ticket because his flag was up for more than half an hour with out him coming out to check on the tip up. he clearly showed that he was not paying attention to the tip up. clearly it was being used as a trout line. even if it was set up with a single treble hook and a shiner chub.

so ya, if the dnr guy sit there on the shore line and watches you and your tip up and sees you have left it unatended then you are going to get a ticket regardless to weather or not you have a window or a peep hole in your shanty.

I in the past have always built a new 8x12 shanty every year, never had a window in it, but did have peep holes I could open and close. the dnr did come over to check us out and asked us about the tipups and we showed them we were watching them from inside through the peep holes. our peep holes were no more than a half inch hole drilled through the wall with an oval peice of wood over the hole conected by a bold and wing nut.

what you pose about the beepers on the tipups dose present an interesting question, but lest think about it, if a man sets up a tip up and walks across the lake a hundred and fifty yards as some of the beepers ranges go. It could take as much as 10 minutes to fight back through the snow and some times slick ice. or how about if the flag goes off and the battery died so the beeper never goes off. the dnr guy is setting there watching your flag with bannoculars and sees it takes 1/2 hour before you realize or return to check your flag. then you are guilty of not attendint to your tip up. and that is simply what the law states. you may not leave a line unattended.

so if the flag never goes up you have nothing to worry about. but if that flag goes up you better be there with in 10-15 minutes max to take care of that tipup.

but I suspose if the dnr guy is given a hard time when they come out to check, they can write you a ticket for just about any thing. dosnt mean it will hold up in cort.

I once got a ticket for driving 35 milse per hour on a street that was posted maximum speed 50 miles per hour. I went to cort 3 times before I actualy got a cort date where the officer had to come in and tell the judge why I deserved a ticket for driving 15 miles under the speed limmit. needless to say I won that case.

so it sounds like the officer was sitting out side watching for a long time to conclude that the tipup was being unattended. other wise how dose he know your buddy did not just step in to the shanty just to worm up for 5 minutes? nothing illigal about that window or not...
[signature]
that makes good sence to me , i keep my tip up within the distance that the d.n.r. says for your regular rods . i fish about half way out on the bottoms shelf for the gills , and on the drop off with the tip up for pike .
i'll brave the cold in my wind break , too clostriphobic for me when i hear that ice cracking , must be from the last time i took a swim in febuary , lol !
[signature]
I ended up not making any thing.

I dont usualy start building untill the ice sets in. I have seen years when the lakes did not even build up a crust. it dosnt take me but a day to build most any thing I want to use. but if I dont get ice by the first week of jan, I dont build any thing at all.

reason being is we get the mid winter thaw that last about any where from a week or two in january and that leaves only two weeks of ice fishing season in jan and maybe 3 weeks in feb. last year was an exception. and boy did I take advantage of it. I fished almost two weeks in to march. I think it was a day or two before st patties day befor I quit. I may have to wait for sucker season and concentrate on them this year. I did not pull any in last year. did see some nice ones, but when I got my stuff out and went out a couple days later they were all gone.

looks like that monster of the lake will not be captured by me unless we get some good ice soon.
[signature]
[green] you guys, quit teasing him, a tip up is what you do with your beer when your down to your last swallow. (sorry Bishop)[Wink]
[signature]
and all this time I thought that was a tip over [laugh] I usualy fall over backwards off my pale when I get that far.
[signature]