Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The old man and new tricks
My Dad made the treck up to my place for a half day of fishing on Saturday. The storm clouds were building and we knew time was short so we headed to a local creek that has been producing for me lately. My dad has been spending his time chasing wipers at Willard so I didn't expect him to have his A game on a tight trout stream on the fly. And after he lost two rigs into the brush and loaded his hip waders with river water, my thoughts were solidified. I managed to bring in two cutties on a white bugger while dad was working out the kinks. I didn't take me long to work my way downstream and beyond the reach of Dad's blame and colorfull language. I struggled through at least three different rigs with no luck before I braved the shore across a little holding pond from mi padre.

"Any luck?" I asked, knowing the answer but not knowing what else to say. "just four so far" he responded like he was disappointed. This sent my brain into a tailspin. I then stood there to watch him pull in at least three more in before I could bring myself to ask how the hell he was doing it. He did finally take pity and show me what he was doing. It wasn't anything specatular, but I had never thought to do it here. We proceeded to fish successfully untill the rain/snow chased us out of the canyon and back home. We were on the water for maybe two and half hours and I honestly lost count of the fish. Not necessarily becasue there were so many, just becasue we were having that much fun. I would guess we landed around ten each.

I should have known better that to underestimate the old dog.

Pics -
Pops and his best friend
The one that ALMOST got away
Success
A pretty one - We got into a few BEAUTIFUL brookies
[signature]
Ok I'll bite... what were you doing/using?
[signature]
Looks like a great time, thanks for the pics.
[signature]
I really was debating including this information on the initial post but the ultimate reason that I didn't was because I am fairly certain that this wouldn't be "new" information for anyone but me. I found my Dad fishing a little off shoot of the main drainage in a couple of still, clear ponds that were maybe six feet deep. you could see the fish stacked up in there. I have fished these ponds a number of times and had limited success. First with small streamers, then an occasional rise to a dry, and the take on a dead drift midge trailer now and then. My rigs were becoming more and more complex as I was trying to improve my catch rate. My Dad found consistency just throwing a bead head pheasant tail and stripping it back in with short, quick three inch pulls. Somewhere back in my memory banks I remember him telling me about this technique but I had long since forgotten it. We had very good results with hares ears and princes as well. And what a fun way to fish! The water was so clear and calm you could see the fish take it and it was such a simple light rig. I have been fishing with my Dad since I was probably three years old and I still seem to pick something up every time we go. Like I said, this probably isn't earth shattering news for anyone but it was good reminder that sometimes, less is more.
[signature]
[quote Lech456]..... I didn't take me long to work my way downstream and beyond the reach of Dad's blame and colorfull language.....
"
I should have known better that to underestimate the old dog.
[/quote]

The bolded part made me Smile. The last part is SO TRUE!!
[signature]
Wow those are some nice looking fish!
[signature]