Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nov 18 report
Launched out of Boulder Harbor around 8:00am and headed to the wash. Took about an hour to get 25 shad but I am not an expert at throwing a net. Parked the boat and started drifting about 1/4 mile from the back of the wash. Caught 5 stripers using the live shad in about 3 hours. Went back and netted another 25 shad this time in about 20 minutes. Decided to find some new scenery so drove to Pyramid Island. Good move...caught 8 nice stripers in about an hour. Live shad is the best bait out there! I was happy with the first five stripers but after filling the ice chest with 13 stripers including a 6 pounder I could not wait to get the fillet knife going. Time for a fish fry!![cool]
[signature]
Awesome! The last time out I wanted to get out of the wash too but with white caps and big winds it just wasn't happening. Hopefully next time out the weather cooperates and we get on them better.
[signature]
Sounds like a great morning. Congrats!

What type of rig are you setting up the shad on and how deep are you dropping them?

Tried frozen bait on a Carolina rig on Monday and didn't have any luck. thinking about getting a net this week and trying to catch some live bait next Monday.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

cheers
[signature]
I have tried various types of rigs for live shad fishing and I personally like this simple set up. I simply put a medium size split shot (1/4 ounce) about 3 feet from the hook and gently cast it. It eventually gets to the bottom depending on how lively the shad is. When fishing with live shad I have caught fish in 20 feet and up to 100 feet deep.Unlike anchovies if you have a live shad the fish cant resist them cause that's their main food supply. Trust me no fish in Lake Mead has ever seen a "live" anchovie [cool]
[signature]
Very well done. You would have smoked us in our last weekend tournament.
[signature]
Have you guys ever tried using a gold fish? I see it's legal in the NV fishing regs. I figure something bright orange in the clear lake...
[signature]
The last time i took the boat out fishing , getting ready to leave hooking boat on trailer , i seen a goldfish at least a foot long . This one did not look like bait any more ! lol
[signature]