Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp?
Hey I'll be down in Henderson for Thanksgiving. I'm a fly fisherman and in Utah I love to catch them on the fly. One of the strongest fish out there. I noticed that lake Mead has quite the carp population especially around the marinas. If one were to bring a small inflatable raft and go in the marina would they be able to catch said carp? Chum them up and they'd be easy pickings it seems.
[signature]
Fishing anywhere in the marina within the buoys is illegal... That goes for every marina in lake mead. That being said, if you did go there, yes, you would slaughter them.
[signature]
If I tried chumming outside the marina with say popcorn how would that work out? Is it too far out from the marina to the fishable zone for it to be effective or are there enough other carp around?
[signature]
If you have a vehicle you would have a chance at several coves around Govt wash , and or 8-mile . 4x4 is recommended but using good judgment will get you close to some fishing in a 2wd. good luck !
[signature]
Maybe if you go to the right of the Marina, the shore is pretty close to the boats, so you would be the closest. On the Left of the Marina is the launch ramp, so I doubt you will have much luck on that side. If you have a raft, you can probably chum you way over. Not exactly sporting since the marina carp would probably eat rocks if you threw them in the water, but if you're throwing them back then whatever. Just remember you have to go past the bouys/ breakwater or they may ticket you.

By backing, I'm guessing you mean the exact regulations?
http://www.ndow.org/Education/Publicatio...ing_Guide/
closed waters for lake mead, pg 21
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Yeah we're just catch and releasing. Carp are a huge challenge were I come from so a day of easy catching would be awesome. I like the challenge but an easy day once in a while is cool. P.S Got Backing? is my signature. It is the stuff you spool on to a fly reel before your fly line and it takes a strong fish to pull that out so that is where it comes from. Probably Confused you. Sorry.
[signature]
We volunteer for C.A.S.T. for kids every year. That is the kids get to fish in the marina. Once the first fish is hooked the all run and hide. It takes about half an hour for them to settle down and come back and another fish is hooked.

Government was is a good spot. Syncing angler has it down rather well.
[signature]
Isn't Chumming illegal? Try casting a #12 black bugger past their nose the slowly strip it back. I have caught 100's on a Rainy ' popcorn ball under a thingamabobber.
[signature]
Chumming is perfectly legal on Mead.

I would say your best bet is to hit a nice clean cove, stay on shore so you don't spook the carp, and start chumming with balls of white bread and cans of corn.

Start chumming 30 minutes or so before you start to fish, and you should have a fun day out there.

Government wash and 33 hole have some pretty stained water, so even if the carp are there, you may have a harder time getting them to notice your fly. Most of the rest of the lake has fairly clear water, so you may try areas like Callville, Hemminway, or Kingman wash.
[signature]