Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toadie's getting a new ride!
So I have been wanting to get a Kayak for a really long time. I finally got the ok from the wife to pull the trigger. So excited to finally join the plastic navy and to get off the bank. Any pointers and/or suggestions from the forums resident Kayak experts?
[signature]
Oh yeah, I forgot to say what kind of Kayak I'm getting. I found a good deal on a lightly used 2014 hobie outback.
[signature]
Congrats!
[signature]
Thanks wolf!
[signature]
Congrats on the new kayak! I don't have any experience on a kayak but now that I have a boat, being able to get off the shore to fish is laps and bounds better! I don't even think I could ever go back to shore fishing Mead now.
[signature]
I'm a Utah guy, but I saw your post scroll by in the hot topics line.

You are going to LOVE your Hobie. I have a Pro Angler 14 and can tell you it is a fish-catching machine. You can troll with at least one hand free and do it tirelessly all day long. No motor noise means no need for outriggers to avoid spooking fish. (I've literally bumped into carp before they knew I was coming.)

The only diSadvantage is the lack or reverse, but just keep the paddle handy for the rare time when you have to back up a few feet.
[signature]
Thanks Rocky and Frank. So Rocky do you have a fish finder on your PA?
[signature]
[cool]Congrats on the new ride. I moved up to a kayak from a floattube a year ago. I'm not an expert yet but have found a lot of fun and great places to explore with the yak.One of the nice things is finding out how you want to outfit your kayak. Where to put extra rod holders,tie downs,and fishfinders. Also how to organize the crate to put in the back if you care for one.
Hope to see you out on the water sometime and hooked up.
[signature]
Indeed I do. I bought a Humminbird and took advantage of their transducer free exchange program (now ended, I'm told) for a unit I could install in the hull. Drilling a two-inch hole in the bottom of my new kayak took courage, but it worked out extremely well. I think my FF is a Pirahna 170 model, also now discontinued. It will run for days on a 7 Ah sealed battery I bought at an RV store.

Here I am in the Prangler Maru with the finder visible just in front of my feet.

[Image: gforum_zpsb90f680a.jpg]
[signature]
Yikes! Drilling holes in the bottom of your Kayak would take courage. I'm glad my come fish finder ready. I'm just in trying to figure on where to mount the screen.
[signature]

Congratulations Todie! You are going to love it. What Rocky clearly doesn't know, and I am happy to share, is that the Hobies do in fact have a reverse. Simply pull out the drive and drop it down in backwards and you can go just as fast in reverse as you can forward. Mind you that the steering is more sensitive, but with practice, it can be mastered. Personally I have a 2012 Hobie Outback. So if you have any questions, or need a fishing partner just let me know. I carry a VHF and am usually on channel 68. As far as fish finders go, well you get what you pay for. I use an Elite-7HDI and I can tell you which way the fish are looking down there, lol. For mounting options I recommend RAM products. They are extremely versatile, and I once hung my Outback from mine just to prove a point. And one more thing, about using the drive, think quicker changes in direction of the pedals for speed, and not full long strokes. The performance gain is night and day! I hope to see you out there soon! And maybe together we can grow the sport of Kayak Angling here in the desert!

So when are you taking ownership?
[signature]
I take possession sometime today. I just have to figure out the installing of the roof rack on my elantra. Lol
[signature]
I know the trick of reversing the PEDAL (not peddle) drive, but at my age and shape, bending down to the releases is a major task. For me, it's quicker to make a few paddle strokes and then have the pedal drive ready to go forward again. It's also a lot easier to steer with the paddle while going backwards, btw.
[signature]

So you do know of the ability to reverse.....

Personally I find it a huge advantage, and catch more fish because of it.
[signature]
I almost never need to back up. I do at launch, and if I've nosed into a vacant boat slip to jig for fish underneath, and occasionally to retrieve a snagged lure. But those are about the only times. In those circumstances, I'd only need to make a half dozen pedal strokes at most - just not worth the effort to pop the releases, reverse the drive and then repeat that a few seconds later.
[signature]
Thanks Shogun!! I will probably take you up on your offer to fish together sometime. Better to fish with a partner for safety. So do you go out in winter?
[signature]

Sounds good. Actually I feel very fortunate that the first day I come back to check out the site, I saw your thread. Yes I go out year round, a couple times a week if I can swing it. I fish a lot of ocean tournaments in California, so I try to log hours otw, and try new things. Im not sure if the local striper club would allow kayaks to enter? I remember there was a very knowledgable member here in the past, so maybe he can chime in. Yes a fishing buddy is a great habit to have, at least until you get your sea legs dialed in. Then most of the time our beautiful Lake Mead is very manageable launching from Gov Wash. So I look forward to fishing with you, and I welcome you to the kayak fishing addiction. Excellent choice on picking up an Outback, I don't think there is a better well rounded yak out there. How is the roof rack job coming along.

I actually just went out last on the 29th, so stay tuned for a new thread with my report.
[signature]
The roof rack did not happen yesterday. I need to wash my car before I install it. Since the sub-zero weather arrived I have been unable to wash the car. Plus the shipping company was closed yesterday. So I wasn't in a rush to get it do with.
[signature]

Yes it has been seriously cold lately. Well keep us posted when it arrives, and post a pic if you get a chance. And make sure those roof racks are secure, as these new Outbacks weigh about 3 times a regular kayak, lol.
[signature]
Lol, yeah that is what I heard about the with hobie. I did made sure that the load capacity was high enough before I bought it. I hope that they work. I rather not have to shell out 500 bucks for a Thule or yakima system. Maybe I will have to get a trailer. Lol
[signature]