Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compact heater for ice tent
I was wondering what everybody was using for a heater to heat up their ice tents? What is a good compact heater that will keep a 4 man ice tent warm? Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Mr. Heater buddy or Big buddy. Depends on how hot you want to be. Nothing better out there that's compact, safe, and efficient IMO.

Gumby[reply][/reply]
[signature]
I use a small propane heater. (Small green bottles).That u can cook with also. If fliped on its back. I got it at cabalas it works great. The only problem i have had with it is that it only has one setting . High or off. But i usually take a little fry pan with me and cook a little something up . If im gunna be fishing all day. I had a mr heater before that would not stay going if i got up in the high elevation. Guess it had a oxygen sensor in it and if the oxygen gets low it will not work. This one will works great for my four man. I will try to come up with a brand name as soon as i unload my sled.
Woody
[signature]
Don't buy the little buddy, does not provide enough heat. I ended up buying a big buddy. That'll do the trick.

Matthew
[signature]
I have to second that on the Little Buddy. It just isn't hot enough. Plus I couldn't get it to light the next year. I traded up to a Portable Buddy, which works great for me. But it would be nice to have the option of the higher output on the Big Buddy for really cold days or overnight trips.
Hate to sound like an echo bit here is one more vote for the Big Buddy by Mr. Heater. If you are in a tent and keep the door closed, you can get warm quick. I have a quick fish three and I usually end up taking off layers after I get set up and turn on the heater.
[signature]
In using the propane heaters there are two things to keep in mind:

Good ventilation and ALWAYS attach and detach the propane bottles outside the tent.

We had a member a couple of years ago who had a bottle stick open and spray all over the place including on him. It did blow, and he had a very close call.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ost=788178
[signature]
Don't forget the two that died from CO poisoning this year.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread

http://www.sweetwaternow.com/carbon-mono...ing-gorge/
[signature]
I've been just fine with the little buddy (9,000 btu) in a Quickfish 3, even in really cold temps, but I also remain fairly active (stepping out, drilling holes, moving periodically, etc), and dress appropriately for cold. But, for others, or if I'm sedentary for an extended period, it can get a little chilly. Nothing a good coat can't address.

This year I purchased a big buddy (18,000 btu) when taking out a newbie from NC and a fairweather family member, and it was plenty to make a Quickfish 6 toasty inside, even with one of the doors remaining open. Way too warm for me to think of ice fishing unless in a t-shirt (I stayed outside rather than go in the sauna). I used the big buddy in my Quickfish 3 as well. It's a bit big and heavy with two bottles attached (esp climbing that damn dam at Birch Creek!!!), but is certainly does the job adequately, even in really cold temps.

One advantage of the big buddy is the inclusion of a battery operated (4 D batteries) fan to help circulate the heat.

If you ware wanting to "keep a 4 man ice tent warm", then I'd vote for the Big Buddy.
[signature]
After having a couple different 4 and 6 man tents over the last 10 years, decided it was lot less hassle and weight in the sled to buy a good windproof parka and sit with my back to the wind.

Now if I were to start doing late day trips for crappie and burbot I might have to think about another tent.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
This is the heater I use, someone else has it down as well.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Q...424&rid=20

Sorry for the long URL. Its called the quiet blind heater. Last year for Burbot on Flaming Gorge it was 22 below zero and this kept my ice shack at 65 degrees all night long, plus it made us bacon and eggs and coffee. It's about $69.00 and as a former Cabela's employee that owns all of the mentioned heaters, its the one I like best for that application. It's quiet, powerful and starts with no hassle.
[signature]
Would the little buddy work well enough for a 2-3 man tent?
[signature]
I have the quite blind heater. Mentioned above and it works great. And will always light .Where i had a issue with my mr heater little buddy. (Get up in high Uintas. Would not work).Plus u can cook on it a added bonus.
Thanks
Woody
[signature]
The little buddy will work out great on a 2-3 man tent. They put out 9,000 BTUs. A good rule of thumb for heating a ice fishing tent is roughly 3,000 BTUs per man. Examples- 3 man = 9,000 BTUs, 6 man = 18,000 BTUs.
[signature]
They are hard to find and you unfortunately cant cook on them but the Focus 5 by Coleman is the best heater ever. Lights in all conditions, lightweight, and a nice footprint to fit perfectly in a tent/blind/sled/boat.
In fact, I have had mine on low keeping me toasty on UL since 7am this morning.
[signature]
Thanks for all the replies guys. SBennett where did you find your heater? Never heard of that one before. Can somebody with the blind heater tell me how long it lasts on a little bottle or propane.
[signature]
Coleman made the Focus 5 and its big brother, the Focus 10.
Unfortunately they are discontinued because morons ran them without a fresh air source and poisoned themselves, ie. Natural Selection.
Ebay, garage sales, etc. DI may even have one come through on occasion.
If the little wire heater globe is damaged, dont buy it. They are impossible to find.
They are the best heater ever made and are in extremely tight demand.
Good luck.
[signature]