Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rigging Live Shad
Hey guys, I'm just curious how you guys are rigging up your live shad? I use a Carolina rig with a 1oz lead weight and a 1 1/2ft leader so it sinks straight down from my boat. I haven't had any success so I was wondering if it's my rig or my location or both. Am I using to much weight, do I want the live shad kinda swimming around with maybe just a split shot weight?
[signature]
3 feet of leader or more below the 1oz weight is what I do. Most certainly no weight on the leader line. Hook the Threadfin just below the dorsal fin (center'ish on the bait front to rear and not very far down. Say just below or above were one would think a backbone is at). This allows him to swim "freely" on a decent length "leash". That is what excites and gets the Stripers attention and why live bait does 10x +++ better than dead/frozen bait.

If I was fishing strictly in shallower water then I might go to a 1/2oz weight. The heavier weight just helps getting it down there in a timely manner when fishing in deeper water.

At least how I have done it. I wasn't shown/instructed by anyone. I just read rig 'em Carolina style and what I took out of that comment several years ago. Been working for me.
[signature]
I use at minimum 2 feet of leader from my mainline. I also only use fluro for my leaders. I noticed my catch rates went up when I switch from a mono to a fluro leader. Typically, I use a plastic slider that I clip my sinkers on to. The reason I use the plastic slider is it prevents the slip sinker from tearing up your mainline and also allows to easily switch out your sinker weight to match the conditions.

I nose hook my shad because from my experience the shad tend to stay alive longer when I nose hook them. Especially if the shad I'm using are gizzard. I also use a size 4 Owners thin gage circle hooks which aren't as hard on the shad so they live a little bit longer in my experience and the fish set the hook themselves.
[signature]
My rig is very simple, apparently effective. I lip hook them (upper lip) and just put on a small drop shot about 2.5 - 3.5 ft up my line. I use a weight that is heavy enough to get them to the bottom and keep them where i want them but it also allows them to swim around. Occasionally i lose a shad from a good hit but haven't had any issues with the lip hook and for the most part the shad never die and move around a bit in the water which in my opinion triggers more strikes.
[signature]
1oz in in-line weight with a 6ft leader (12 pound Ande) and a hook to match the bait. 1/0 light wire circle hook. Hook the shad thru both nostrils.

Bigger Shad 4-6", 3/0 hook. Troll in 30 to 40 feet just off shore at around 1.0 to 1.5 mph. This will put you rig in about 25-30ft.

If any one would like a hands on demonstration come to a NSC meeting or a weigh-in at the lake.

Next meeting is tonight at 7pm @ Bass Pro Shop (upstairs in the old gun room) Next tournament is this weekend 1/9-11/2015

Weigh-in is Sunday 1-11-15 noon to 1pm at Las Vegas Bay Marina (picnic area) over on the Vegas wash side.
[signature]
Thanks guys! This is exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully this weather holds out for this weekend so I can head out.
[signature]
I tried the rig and trolling the bigger shad near boulder harbor and had some success. I really like that method. Thanks
I've never used a big weight like that usually have a 1/4oz Carolina rigged and my other rod just a hook with a shad free spooling and waiting for line to start tearing off. I've had lots of bigger fish that way but also lots of tangles when the free swimmer went to visit his buddy on the weight or the anchor. Lol
[signature]