Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEED SOME ADVICE!
Alright guys, I need some help with a setup that I have. I currently am using a 7' shimano crucial crankbait rod as my jerkbait setup. The rod is on the lighter side being a medium light with a medium fast tip. I currently have been throwing kvdj200 jerkbaits and lucky craft pointer 78's on it. Both of which are only 3/8 oz. lures. I am wanting to start throwing the lucky craft pointer 100's, but they weight 5/8 oz., and the rod is only rated from 1/4-1/2. Do you guys think this extra weight would effect the rod or the action of the lure? Thanks in advance!
[signature]
I don't see anything wrong with that setup. My rods are very specific to what I use them for but at the same time I could pick up any rod and make it work for any technique, within reason.
My go-to jerkbait rod is a Powell 703 medium heavy-extra fast 7' rod. Reel is a Shimano Curado but the important part is the line. 10# Sunline Sniper.
This rod has a little more backbone than most jerkbait rods but it's what I feel comfortable with. For DEEP suspending jerkbaits I use a completely different setup.
Switching to a lure that's 3/16 oz. heavier should not have any adverse effect on the rod. You may have to tweak the reel a little bit, there may be more of a load on the rod when casting but that's not a bad thing when fishing jerkbaits. I use jerkbaits to cover the upper water column looking for fish. Man, I am getting so sidetracked.
Anywho, it really comes down to line, line, line. Jerk it on a slack line and not on a tight line. Get a line that matches what you're using. I like the X-Raps but they don't suspend 'perfectly' so a heavier fluoro line will help it suspend. My LC's suspend perfectly and the 100's in the bluegill pattern are my favorite when fishing for pressured fish.
The fish will see the lure (can't go wrong with LC) and then maybe the line but they will never see the rod. If you have a rod that's close to what you need you will just have the feel of how to make it work it in your hands. When you are in the zone and throwing out that jerkbait the rod becomes an extension of what you picture in your mind what your bait is doing. Play with how your lure reacts in shallow water so you can see what it's doing with the lighter rod.
If anything the maybe light rod is better than my heavier rod that may be ripping the jerkbait out of the fishes mouth.
I believe I really need to go bass fishing. Thank you WE23 for giving me something to Smile about during these winter months lol.
[signature]