Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation 01-21-15
Went to starvation today. Cold but clear. Rabbit Gulch is still open and we fished from the bank. Red power bait seemed to do the trick but it was very slow. I tried worm and mellow but no success. Can anyone tell me exact instructions for baiting a worm and mellow, depth, kind of hook, etc. Any advise would be welcomed. Really like starvation. Quiet, beautiful, calm. Becoming my new favorite. and you get to keep the large fish.[Wink]
[signature]
Nice fish. All that open water is making me think I should break out the boat[fishon]
[signature]
Those are some really nice fish! The water up there is so clear to look into, it always amazes me. Well for what it's worth most people use a size 1 or 2 hook for the worm and mellow. You thread the worm on so that the red half of the worm is closest to the tip of the hook. A worm threader is helpful. Then you cover the tip of the hook with a mellow. The mellow floats the worm above the weeds. I think the reason they are biting the power bait is that it is a smaller offering. Trout slow down in the winter and will eat small offerings more readly than larger ones.
[signature]
BTW, I would stick with what your doing. It looks like it is working to me.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and photos.

I like that place too because your not sure what you might catch.[Wink]
[signature]
Nice pics. I love Starvation too. If I were you I might change up the colors of power bait. Also if you are wanting to coax different species to bite, you could either tip a jig with a chunk of worm and hop it back to you OR use a slip sinker rig with an aired up worm.
[signature]
For worm and mallows. I like to thread 2 mallows then a half a worm on the hook. I like to dry the mallows out a little they stay on the hook better. One to two feet above a slip sinker and swive. Nice fish btw!
[signature]