Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco Run Update Friday 1/23 - They are "ON"!
Friday, January 23, 2015

Bear Lake Fishing Report:

The Cisco run is officially “on” over at Cisco Beach. The first larger schools of Cisco just showed up today (Friday) and several anglers were able to dip net their limit. It should be prime time for the run this weekend. My advice is to kneel down close to shore and keep a LOW profile. By keeping low the Cisco will come right into the shore. If you are standing up tall or are out further in the water, the fish will avoid you. This is customary for dip netting during open water years. Bear Lake is wide open water at this point and there is no ice on the lake. Surface water temperature is about 34F, and there is no chance of it freezing over at least for another week. There is very little snow on the ground and the east side boat ramps are clear and open for launching, but no courtesy docks are in the water due to ice formation on the docks. Fishing has remained good for Cutthroat Trout, Whitefish and a few Lake Trout. Anglers targeting trout are fishing with tube jigs tipped with cisco &/or worms right on the bottom in 35-70’ of water. Other anglers are trolling and also catching fish. The best spots have been off the east side in the Cisco Beach/North Eden area, Second Point, and the “rockpile”. Some fish have also come from off the rockpiles just north of the Utah State Park marina. Anglers are catching limits of Cisco from boats off the “rockpile” and off the pump house on the east side of the lake. Try about 20-25’ of water off the pump house and about 35-45’ off the rockpile. Remember, you must use lures that are legal for fishing for other types of fish while fishing for cisco, but foul hooked Cisco can be kept. Any other foul-hooked species must be returned immediately. The Cisco Disco/Polar Plunge/Chili Cook-off sponsored by the State Parks, Bear Lake Area Chamber of Commerce, and BL Convention & Visitor Bureau will be on Saturday, January 24th beginning right at daylight.

Garden City Community Fishery Pond
Pond is completely frozen at this time. Due to aerators running in the pond the ice can be dangerous. Only fish in areas where there are others anglers or safe ice. Small jigs tipped with worms or waxworms will always work well.

Laketown Reservoir
Pond is completely frozen at this time but depending on snow depth, you may only have access via snowmobiles, snowshoes, or skiis. Small jigs tipped with worms or waxworms will always work well. Laketown Reservoir is not a community fishery, therefore, the daily limit is four trout.
[signature]
Thank you for your continual updates! I will be making the drive from Rigby, Idaho very early tomorrow morning.

OvidCreek
[signature]
Does time of day matter to catch them from the shore?
[signature]
Yes it does matter, IMO, if you are not there within an hour of first light, you chances are cut in half of getting a limit. Another hour an you might as well not even be there. You might be able to pick up a few but not your limit. As it starts getting dark they will move in again.
[signature]
Sweet thanks
[signature]
So would it be good the last hour of light as well?
[signature]
Yes, I think so from what I understand but I've always dip netted in the morning myself. I have heard they start coming back in as it gets dark or the last hour before it gets totally dark.
[signature]
We have been seeing them running the last couple of days until 9-10 am, but earlier is always the safer bet.
[signature]
we got there maybe a titch after 7am today, and it was a bust. No fish. Nowhere up-down the shoreline. Lots of folks trying, hoping, but scarcely any netting going down. Unfortunate.

I posted a report:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
Well I spent about 1.5 hours out there in my waders did manage 6 cisco, 3 in 1 scoop right off the bat, then not much... at one point I did turn around and saw a huge school well over 100 cisco swim behind me which tells me I was out too far so I backed up and sat there for 30 min and nothing. I was about 1\4 mile South of the crowd at the beach hoping they would scare the fish to me. Did catch 3 nice cuts from shore afterwards so it was a great day all and all. Missed the polar plunge though... it's so had to leave when they are actually biting from shore at bear lake.
[signature]
Time of day DOES matter. Because of work, we got there at cisco beach later in the day- around 2:30'ish and yep you guessed it, not a cisco to be found. Took a drive up along the lake to check out scenery, and then an hour later came back along cisco beach again to see people out with their nets so we thought we'd give it a try. Waded out and saw zero cisco. Still had a great time though as it's always good to get out.

It's all about timing for sure. We'll probably try again in a few days, early this time.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Yes it does matter, IMO, if you are not there within an hour of first light, you chances are cut in half of getting a limit. Another hour an you might as well not even be there. You might be able to pick up a few but not your limit. As it starts getting dark they will move in again.[/quote]

Is it legal to net them at night?
[signature]
I have seen many people dip netting when DWR are by them, so yes I believe it is ok. If you can fish at night there really is no difference if you dip net at night. Because you can't see them as well, most people have a lantern sitting or shore. You might be able to use a head lamp but I'm not sure, if that would scare them or not.
[signature]