Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bank tangling Lincoln Beach?
So I will be taking the day off to go fishing this Thursday and Friday, and am planning on hitting up Lincoln beach in the late afternoon/early evening. In looking at the beach on google earth, I was curious where a good place to fish from shore would be. I noticed two strips of land jutting out into the lake, would I be allowed to fish there? I haven't fished Lincoln beach itself, only some spots down the road, so any advice would be appreciated!
[signature]
[#0000ff]The low water has made most spots around Lincoln Beach too shallow for shore fishing. But there is up to 5-6 feet of water right off the ends of the two dikes forming the boat channel. Best fishing is usually off the south dike (see attached map).

Fish small jigs or spinners close to the rocks for white bass. Soak crawlers, shrimp, carp meat or white bass meat at varying distances from the shore to find the cats...and mudders. Throw larger plastics or cranks for the occasional post spawn walleyes that move in and out at their own volition.

Fishing a bait-tipped jig under a bobber near the rocks can sometimes be effective...and reduce the snagging prospects.

The deepest water will be due east of the end of the south dike...right where it takes a dogleg to the north.

EDIT: There was high water in 2011 and wave action washed over the dikes and washed away some of the top layer. So they put a concrete barrier about 1/3 of the way out to keep vehicles from driving out there. Hasn't been fixed since then. See pics.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Excellent! Thanks for the great info....out of curiosity how often do panfish frequent that part of the lake?
[signature]
[#0000FF]In "normal" water years it is usually good fishing inside the ramp end of the boat channel for bluegill, crappies and white bass. There is a courtesy dock on the north side of the basin near the ramp. (see attached pic) Even in the low water there is 3-4 feet of water around it. That is enough to bring in some fish. A good spot to try if it is too windy on the outside...or not.

When water levels are up high enough it can be super fishing for big bluegills all along the outside edges of the dikes. Look for reeds coming up out of the water in at least 2-3 feet of water and use a small bobber to present a piece of worm or a small jig. The same technique works for the small crappies that frequent the area.

If the roads allow, you can drive down to the L and try the same tactics inside there. Pretty shallow now but it has been good in the area for white bass and should also have some bluegills and crappies. They did have the gate open on the fence above the L...for the wading contingent. But if you don't have high clearance and/or 4x4 it can get dicey getting back up the steep rutted roads down to the lower level.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]