Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this Freshwater or Saltwater
My wife got me this combo for father's day...
http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/shake...85756.html
After researching the web and Shakespeare's site I can't determine if this is a freshwater combo or a saltwater.
It's a little bigger than I'm used to and I'm thinking it's more for 'bigwater' fishing but need to confirm before I take it out to the water.
Thanks
[signature]
It is really hard to tell from the link you gave because it shows 8 different combos but if I were guessing, I'd say it was freshwater. The lower end model looks like it is for small trout or panfish and the upper end model is likely for bigger cats, maybe lake trout. Which one do you have?
WH2
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]It is really hard to tell from the link you gave because it shows 8 different combos but if I were guessing, I'd say it was freshwater. The lower end model looks like it is for small trout or panfish and the upper end model is likely for bigger cats, maybe lake trout. Which one do you have?
WH2[/quote]
It's the 7050 (pic attached)
[signature]
According to the info it can be used with 12 lb, 14 lb or 17 lb line, it is a medium action 7 ft rod. I'd say the best use for this combo would 4 to 30 lb fish catfish or northerns, maybe muskie if they aren't too big. If you used it on Saltwater it would be for small surf fish because you never know what might come a calling in Saltwater, I think you would be wise to only use it on Freshwater fishing.
[signature]
Interesting rod. My first question is it made out of materials wise? If it is more aluminum alloy and stainless steel with sealed aluminum or simar bearings then I would say saltwater. I ask this because I just bought a saltwater outfit that is 7' in length and medium heavy with a fast action. Looking at the reviews someone has used it on saltwater for groupers. Looks like a good surf type of pier fishing rod. Would be good for freshwater too for bigger fish like catfish and such. What fish species do you have locally? If you do have the larger species like catfish, musky, pike, etc... Rig it with the heavier lines. If you have bass rig it with the 12 lb mono and throw some spinner baits and cranks. If you are located near saltwater have fun with it off of piers and jetties, be sure to use 15 lb test or greater though. It will work for both. Looks like a decent start up rod to me.
[signature]