Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wierd Ice Patterns
I was on google earth and Granddaddy Lake, and up close there is a weird ice pattern. Anyone have any clues? Betsy Lake near there has something similar, but smaller. Maybe weird is just normal.
[signature]
Looks like a frozen lake with patches of snow. doesn't seem to odd if you ask me.
[signature]
Not sure about on Google Earth, but Grandaddy and Betsy are ice free. Went in on June 17th. Caught fish at will.
[signature]
How was the fishing, any size? Did you make to other lakes east? We are headed to the area in early July. WE will be staying several nights.

Do you day trip it, or overnight?
[signature]
The fish were standard 10-14" cutthroats. Since they were spawning and concentrated in the lake right at the stream entrance, the fishing was spectacular as far as numbers. Most all caught and released. We were in on a day trip - in and out the same day so we did not make it on to other lakes. By early July the spawn will be over so the fishing will go back to regular success which is usually pretty good. Try Mohawk and Betsy - always pretty good options.
[signature]
Google earth is not real time, it is a snap shot it time, the image could have been several years old. Sometimes you will run across an image with snow, and there is a sharp line, and then it is green.
I knew about google earth - just thought he might want to know about the current status of Grandaddy Basin in relationship to snow - and I had just been there.
[signature]
Are you talking about the starburst patterns in the ice? Those are almost certainly underwater springs......if so, those would be optimal ice fishing areas but also dangerous early and late season spots.
[signature]