Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a good outboard mechanic
Anyone know a good outboard mechanic or shop. I have a 40 year old, 15 hp Johnson. I usually do all my own work, but this job will need some special tools, (points & timing etc.)?
[signature]
I'm sort of like you I hate to pay for something I can do, but I hate worse not being able to go fishing because I haven't gotten my motor fixed. So last spring I took my boat into Lees marine in Hyrum and they did a good job. Sort of expensive I thought but good work. Later J
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]There ain't no such thing as 'cheap' when it comes outboard mechanics. However, Lee's Marine is one of the best according to all the reports I've seen on here and from my own personal experience. [/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I can also recommend Fred's Marine in Layton. They are my home shop and have always treated me fairly.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Take it to Lee's Marine and you won't regret it.
[signature]
Lee's Marine in Hyrum and as another stated when it comes to outboard mechanics well you get what you pay for and working on outboards isn't really cheap. Lee has treated us awesome and we've been having our outboard motors worked on in his shop for almost 10 years. He has saved us over 3K when the electronic brain on our main motor went out several years ago the engine a 4 stroke 150 Merc Verado was no longer under warranty...As a 5 star rated Merc dealer was able to get Mercury cover the parts cost of 3K and provide a new one.

He will also fix only what needs fixing and won't replace parts that are still good.

TOP NOTCH Guy and business!!!
[signature]
Yup that is for sure the case, costs a fortune to get anything done. Sort of like going to the Dr or calling an electrician you're going to get gouged. Wish there was a way to turn that around on them. Sell them some hay at $500 a bale, that should be fair if their rates are fair. Just glad I can do most of that stuff myself. Later J
[signature]
There is a guy named Fred Slock that worked on my 30+ year old Johnson. He works out of a service van and comes to your house. He always did a good job and was fair. His # is 801-403-8234. He somtimes does work for Pinnacle Marine. I have them do the service on my new Honda and they also do a good job. Their # is 801-266-4421. Personaly if I can pay a good mechanic a couple hundred bucks to go through my outboard so I don't have any problems out on the water it is money well spent!
[signature]
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll check out those leads.
[signature]