Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nanofil?
Does anyone out there use nanofil line? If so are you using a leader?
[signature]
What are you using it on?
[signature]
I use a flora carbon leader about 4 foot.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have been using Nanofil for almost 3 years, and have it on most of my reels now.

I do not fill my whole reel spool with that spendy stuff. I "topshot" the reel spool with only about 75 to 100 yards of the Nanofil...over monofilament of slightly heavier strength. I join the two lines with a double uni knot...or in some cases a 6-wrap blood knot. Whatever knots you use, lubricate them well and slide them slowly to accomplish a good tight fit.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][#0000FF][b]Topshotting will save some money. But before you remove all that line and respool you should wind it onto another spool...and from that onto still another spool...and then back onto your reel...so that the end that was once tied to your main line is now at the front. In other words, reverse the line and get double duty out of the same piece.

[/#0000FF]I also use a quality mono or fluoro leader...most of the time. When using the "clear mist" Nanofil you can tie directly to lures in most cases without suffering loss of hits. It does not seem to scare most fish. Some spooky high mountain trout, yes.

Most of the time I tie the end of the Nanofil to one eye of a small #10 or #12 crane swivel. I use an improved clinch knot...but run the Nanofil through the eye of the swivel twice before completing the knot. This helps eliminate the tendency of that slick line to slip a knot. Then I tie my 3 to 4 foot mono or fluoro leader to the other end of the small swivel.

Nanofil is great stuff. No stretch, no coils, sensitive...and casts 20 - 30% further than almost any mono or flouro. But it does have its downsides.

First, it tends to "fuzz" the last few feet between the end of the line and the reel...from repeated casting and from up close fish fighting. Good guides will reduce that...and worn guides will accelerate it. Just check your last few feet of line after a trip...or before one...and cut back a few feet if necessary.

Second is that the line is so thin that it sometimes slips into the "line keeper" notch on spinning reel spools. That can result in "popcorn" when you cast a heavy lure or try to set the hook on a fish after the line has hooked onto the reel spool slot. Since I seldom use those line keepers anyway, I remove them from my spools. Problem solved.

A third "negative" is that Nanofil doesn't have memory, but it tangles abominably. If you get a tangle...especially with a mono leader...you almost have to cut it to get out of it. And Nanofil is not easy to cut. Difficult with dull clippers. A pair of small sharp scissors works best.

[/b][/#0000FF]
[signature]