Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats Your Preference...bucket or chair
Did the bucket thing and found it got old plus uncomfortable when spending an entire day on the ice...so now its the collapsible browning tripod chairs for ice fishing...compact own bag and doesn't take up a lot of space in the jet sleds and most of all comfy. What's your preference...

[inline chair.JPG]
[signature]
standing...
[signature]
These work pretty good exactly for the reasons you described.
One downfall:
For a dude, if you are not 'situated' properly and you quickly bend over for a hook set you will squash the Boys on the front triangle of the seat.
You have been warned!
[signature]
I like the full on camp chairs but right now i have a directors chair. Fancy pockets and a side table is nice for bait and drinks. I need to be comfortable for my afternoon ice nap
[signature]
Without a question... chair. I have one similar to yours. I have another that swivels which is also compact. The most comfy is the regular camp fold out chair, but they take some effort to "crawl" out of. The down side to that particular chair is when the temp in the tent reaches 60 to 80 degrees and you have been up since before sunup, not falling asleep can be a challenge.
[signature]
Up until a few years ago I would use a bucket. Now it's a folding camp chair for me. I prefer the ones that have a rigid seat and back. They are easier to get up out of when the jaw jacker goes off on the other side of the tent.
[signature]
[quote SBennett] For a dude, if you are not 'situated' properly and you quickly bend over for a hook set you will squash the Boys on the front triangle of the seat.
You have been warned![/quote]

hahaha been there done that....

I usually kneel most of the time but with knee surgery and getting older, it gets hard on the knees. I like the tri pod chairs though, better than a bucket.
[signature]
A small chair and a back pack work great for me. I don't pull a sled because I find that the more space I have the more crap I haul onto the ice. I carry the ice auger and Hummingbird but everything else I throw over my shoulder. It also makes it easy to relocate if the fish aren't biting.
[signature]
I use a directors camp chair.
[signature]
I have been using a Cabela's Director's chair for the last few years. The feature I like the most is the height of the chair which allows me to get up quickly when there's a fish on. The design also provides some much needed back support during a long day on the ice.
The chair has an aluminum frame so it doesn't add much weight to the sled. The folding table arm on the right side is also handy to keep anything close at hand.

Years ago when I did use my bucket as a chair, I would put my boat cushion on the top of the bucket to avoid the toilet bowl effect. The boat cushion is my throwable rescue device and it has 100 feet of poly rope attached so it can be used to assist someone getting out of the water if they go through the ice.

Everyone should have a throwable rescue device available while on the ice. Such a device and some ice picks can make a huge difference in getting out of the water in an emergency. Let's all be safe out there...especially in the early and late season ice fishing.

PS.....I'll give everyone one chance to guess which fish finder I would recommend.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc127...gkwcyc.jpg

Mike
[signature]
Bucket all the way. Soft padded bucket lid. Rod holder on my bucket.
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
Use my knees at least until I find the fish. Waiting for fish to show up is not an option for me. Once I get on fish then I might pull out a camp chair and the tent if I'm tired of kneeling on the ice. Even with the chair I'm usually sitting on the edge ready to spring.
[signature]
i find if i sit on bucket I pay more attention if i sit in chair I fall asleep.[bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobsleeping][bobsleeping]
[signature]
Director's chair all the way. Got the idea from you a few years back but I got mine from Harbor Freight.
[signature]
[quote SBennett]For a dude, if you are not 'situated' properly and you quickly bend over for a hook set you will squash the Boys on the front triangle of the seat. You have been warned![/quote]

+1 When I first seen them, I thought they were the cat's meaow. Then I found that there WAS no way to get "situated properly" without an issue.
[signature]
Fishing on my knees. Old Wis. habit[cool]
[signature]
I still use a bucket. It holds most of the gear I need except the auger and finder and allows me to travel fairly light. As or now, my posterior still fits reasonably snug in the bucket and I seem to be able to fish all day without undue stiffness.
[signature]
Still a bucket guy. I have one of those "3/4 moon" padded seats that fit a 5-gallon bucket. I scoop some snow into the bucket, and drop my fish in through that cutout before I sit back down. My smaller "tools and gear" bucket goes inside the larger one, atop the fish for the trip home.

When my back gets a bit sore from no back rest, I just stand and stretch. Best of all, everything still fits inside the smallest Jet Jr sled.
[signature]
The best napping tool on the hard deck
[signature]
I have to agree with you Coot, those triangle chairs are better suited for girl kids than for guys! Regular camp chairs are hard for fat 'ole guys to get out of, I may have to try the directors chair.
[signature]