Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake almost froze- Tues 1/12/16
**It is amazing how much has changed in just 24 hours!!**

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Bear Lake Fishing Report (with UPDATED ICE CONDITIONS):

As of Tuesday 1/12/16, Bear Lake is almost entirely frozen over with the exception of South Eden and Cisco Beach. This could change due to wind or higher temperatures, but as of this morning you can no longer launch boats on Bear Lake.

We did see one angler ice fishing off the southwest corner of the lake, but the ice is only about 1-1.5” thick and it is not recommended for ice fishing at this time. Prior to freeze over, anglers were doing really well for Cutthroat Trout with a few Lake Trout are also being caught. The best success for Cutthroat Trout has been coming from anglers jigging with ¾ to 1 ounce tube jigs tipped with Cisco, Sucker meat, or even worms right on the bottom off Cisco Beach in about 25-50’ of water. Pay attention to your sonar so you can find the fish. About January 20th (give or take about 5 days) the Bonneville Cisco should begin their spawning run along the shoreline at Cisco Beach and possibly off the Utah State Park marina. The annual Cisco Disco is scheduled for Saturday, January 23rd and there will also be a Polar Plunge at the Utah State Park marina later in the morning. Also, there will be a “largest Cisco” contest that day and a chili cook-off so bring the kids up for some wintertime fun. Finally, please remember, all Cutthroat Trout that are caught and don’t have a healed fin clip must be released.
[signature]
just a little breeze though[Tongue]
[signature]
[quote lilfish]just a little breeze though[:p][/quote]
NO,NO, NO, WIND OR WARM WEATHER !
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
Thanks for posting this update Scott.
[signature]
Thanks Scott,
Lots of folks watching that development... Do you think cisco area will freeze by the dip net fest??? Do they get more breeze off those hills on that side? Is that why it's always slower to ice up? Can you as of today still get a boat in at cisco boat launch or a pontoon? I ought to take a day off and come float one more day, but if I did it would be frozen by morning... Sounds fun though... thanks so much for the update... J
[signature]
c'mon ice
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Thanks Scott,
Lots of folks watching that development... Do you think cisco area will freeze by the dip net fest??? Do they get more breeze off those hills on that side? Is that why it's always slower to ice up? Can you as of today still get a boat in at cisco boat launch or a pontoon? I ought to take a day off and come float one more day, but if I did it would be frozen by morning... Sounds fun though... thanks so much for the update... J[/quote]

Whew, that's a lot of questions.[Tongue]
[signature]
What can I say inquiring minds want to know. Later J
[signature]
[inline "ice ice baby.jpg"]
He's alive!!! J
[signature]
Ha, I get it!
[signature]
Darin Pugmire reporting it blew off last night. Boats fishing rockpile. Ice stacked on Cisco.
[signature]
It's so confusing the state report says they are ice fishing on it. May have to take a trip with both types of gear just in case. J
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner][/quote]

Where you been boy?
[signature]