Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redneck jawjacker!
So after looking at a jawjacker at sportsman's warehouse , and not wanting to shell out $40 a piece, I decided to use a bunch of PVC that I had laying around, a couple of coat hangers, and bought a package of eyehooks. 30 minutes later I had 6 little rigs that were ready to use.

I took my new toys (and my kids with a bunch of their little cousins) and headed to G.C. community pond to put them to the test.

Despite having to deal with kids needing to pee, crying because they're cold, and youngest niece falling halfway down a hole, we all managed to catch fish. The homemade jawjackers worked awesome! They had about a 60% hookup rate when they were triggered. I don't know what you can expect from the real jawjackers for hookups verses non-hookups, but it was entertaining none the less.

Kids had fun and we caught about 12-15 rainbows in a two hour time span.
[signature]
That's a great idea. I also have some pvc laying around. Would you mind sharing any lengths that you found worked the best. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Glad to share what I did.
Everything was cut from 1-1/4" PVC. Each unit needs two tees, and one eye screw.

The sizes cut are:

1- 12"
2- 6" (legs)
1- 3" (rod holder)

Nothing is glued, just friction fit so I can take it apart for storage. The eye screws are about 1/2" in diameter and I drilled a 1/16" pilot hole where you can see it in the pics.
The trigger was made from coat hanger. Bend it like you see in the pics. The easiest to bend was the one made from white coat hanger, but they both worked exactly the same. You will need to tweek the angle of the part of the trigger that goes into the eye of the rod until it releases with a pretty light bite.
The string could be made from 30-50 pound mono or braid, but I just used butchers twine. The length of the string will vary with the length of your pole and the stiffness of it.

Mike
[signature]
I made some too they are cheaper at cabelas. I guess you just use what you have.
[signature]
Excellent! I did almost exactly the same thing (same concept/almost same design) a few years back, and it worked really well.

Mine was based on the ubiquitous "bucket" platform, though. I drilled a hole for the rod-butt on one side and made a padded notch opposite that for the rod to rest just ahead of the reel.

My wire was shaped just a tiny bit differently but I actually think yours is a little better now that I see it. Easier to tune, and it MIGHT allow me to NOT have to constantly install and remove spring bobbers.

I ran the string (a shoelace) holding the trigger wire to the bottom corner of the bucket and put it through a tiny hole, through the wire and back through the hole. If the hole is the right size and you tie a knot in one end, you can adjust string length and friction where the knot hits the hole will hold it.

I sure like and respect a guy who can figure out and do for himself!
[signature]
Cool thanks for sharing that. Yesterday I landed 3 out of 5 rainbows with my jaw jacker so 60% catch rate is right on par. I was going to buy another one but I'm going to copy your rig.
[signature]
Yup, that's very clever. I'd strongly consider one of those for my deadstick rod. While it might work very well for those extremely light crappie bites we see, it would surely be fine for heavier hitters.
[signature]