Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendation for ice fishing bibs and coat
I have use the Dicky insulated bib overalls for a number of years and they are great for warmth, but really lack in water proofing. Have been looking at getting insulated and water proof bibs and coat. I know Clam makes a setup, but very pricy. There are a couple of other outfits listed on the web. Clam is very popular, pricy and the reviews vary a lot from okay to great and even a few poor. What do you all recommend.
[signature]
I have have only tried one set of the fancy stuff so giving a fair and honest evaluation of whats on the market, I can not.

A couple of years back when I started looking, I come across the brand , Striker Ice.
As I recall they sell them in two different weights. I bought the lighter pair because I like to layer my clothing. Yes they are expensive. My reason for choosing Striker Ice is because they float with a body in them. They have about the same features as the other brands. I am very happy with them.

I ordered mine on line.

Richard J
[signature]
I look forward to the replies, I wear Carrharts myself but they have the same water proofing issue. I used to snowmobile a bit and I know those clothes were great for wet proofing along with my ski bibs and gear. I just bought cheaper no names from sporting good stores and got along fine, however I had a cat suit from Arctic cat when I was younger that was the best gear I ever had, but it was a little more pricey. Biggest problem this time of year is everyone has sold out of most of their winter gear, but if not they probably have it clearance priced. Good luck. J
[signature]
I bought the frabil's online and once I got them I realized that in order to relieve yourself you had to take the shoulder straps off and pull them down, kind of a pain with a coat over them. I sent them back and bought the heavy floatable Strikers with a two way zipper and I love them, I got sick of wet knees in my carharts.
[signature]
I and several of my fishing buddy's have purchased the Guide Gear suits from Sportsmans Guide on line. We all love them and they are very much like the other suits for sale on the market, except a lot cheaper. They are waterproof, wind proof and very well made. They come in bibs and a jacket and cost half what others similar to them do. I highly recommend them and when they start to wear out I will purchase another set. They are like anything else out there, you have to layer up under them but they work very well, and now is the best time to buy.

www.sportsmansguide.com
Bibs and Jacket
[signature]
KJ, I went to the sportsmansguide website and looked at the ice suits and all they have right now is a medium in the bibs and lg and xl in the jacket and the price is 62.99 each right now. So not sure if this would work for you, I like to order one size bigger to allow for layering. The color that is available this year is blue and black. Maybe you'll have to wait for next year to get the size you need if this is something your interested in, I really think you'd be happy with these, just my opinion.
Hope this helps you.
[signature]
I purchased a pair of Arctic Armor Special Edition bibs before last ice season. I purchased them because they are supposed to keep one floating if one falls through the ice. I have been disappointed in that my knees will get wet if I kneel in them and the lining is tearing in many places. They are extremely warm -- too warm most of the time.
[signature]
I've got a set ordered that will be delivered today. After a weekend at Bear Lake I should be able to give you an objective evaluation. On-line reviews warn about them being a little short in the crotch area. Might want to order a little bigger if available. Certainly won't beat the price.

Larry
[signature]
I have used Cabela's gortex guide wear (the blue ones) for a number of years (maybe 5 or 6) & I love them. They still look good, and are water & wind proof. I noticed Cabelas has them on sale now - end of year close out? I have never regretted buying them & will probably last me many more years into the future.
[signature]
I have also been very pleased with the Cabelas Guide Wear that I have. I've had them for 5 years or so and they are as good today as when I bought them. I don't remember what I paid for them, but I've never regretted it. I like buying from Cabelas because they are so good to take stuff back if you try it and don't like it.
[signature]
Ive been using arctic armor because it floats if you fall through. It is very warm.
[signature]
After Christmas I picked up a pair of Clam Ice armor ( the blue ones) and I love them. Easy to layer under and comfy. I also only paid 119.00 for them. Sheeles will price match off of online retailers except Amazon and Ebay.
[signature]
Im going to second that choice. The striker ice gear is awesome. I also like the added insurance of knowing it will float. They are expensive but worth every penny. You can find the jackets and bibs on ebay for lower prices. There are different levels of warmth but the predator series is more than adequate. Ive tried on Clam suits, Cabelas, and a couple others and nothing is as comfortable as these. You can find them at Sportsmans Warehouse. Watch the demo video.
[signature]
I bought a set (parka & bibs) of the blue ice armor 5 years or so ago and I love them. They are waterproof, padded seat and knees in the bibs and break the wind just fine especially riding a snowmobile in a snow storm. Growing up in Wis. I like to fish on my knees a lot and the padding in the knees works great for that, I never have got wet kneeling in the snow or on the ice. They work for me and look good on the ice[Tongue]
[signature]
[#800000]I bought the Clam uninsulated suit (bibs & coat) 3 years ago for around $200. Water and wind proof and plenty warm enough for Utah with 2 to 3 layers underneath. I usually just wear a set of winter underwear and sweat pants and shirt under the suit. I've never actually been cold in this outfit. I can't see that you would ever need the more expensive insulated suit for ice fishing in Utah. The Clam products do cost a little bit more but are certainly worth the extra cost based on the quality of construction and functionality of the design.[/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Just another reply on the cabelas guide wear. I have gone into the lake with my cabelas bibs to recover a snowmobile that had a ski go through the edge ice and the combination of the cabelas bibs and sorel boots I stayed completely dry. And I had my leg submerged up to my thigh for a few minutes.
[signature]
Plus we look good on the ice Bob[Tongue]
[signature]
You have received more than enough good advice, but take this for whats its worth. I went back and forth about 5 years ago when I decided to quite wearing my old snowboarding pants ice fishing and wanted bibs, but didnt know whether to get insulated or uninsulated. I ended up going with the Cabelas guide gear uninsulated and here is why. I hate to sweat and when walking in insulated gear I sweat. I already owned many different weights of layers and can layer accordingly based on the temp. Plus once we get the tent up, we are usually fairly warm and insulated bibs would be overkill. The guide gear pants from Cabelas have been very water proof and wind proof. I usually wear a thin layer of UA long underwear and then a heavier, polar fleece pant under them and I can be good in about -10 and up. In late winter early spring, I lose the polar fleece and am perfect.
[signature]
[quote PACKFAN]Plus we look good on the ice Bob[:p][/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Oh Yea! [cool][/#800000][/font]

[inline IMG_3199.JPG]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Looks like our off loading spot at Cascade in Idaho a couple weeks ago. You can see they had a few inches of snow there, probably more now.
[signature]