Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 Stroke Oil Question
I have a Yamaha 150 and an 8 hp kicker that I have always used Yamalube 4-stroke oil in over the years. I like the Yamalube fine but as you all know it is very expensive. I'm curious about how many of you use the expensive oil in comparison to cheaper brands?

Thanks
[signature]
I run mercury and have always run the mercury brand Quicksilver. I have a 150hp mercury verado and the viscosity recommended in the manual says SAE 25w-40. I have never seen that viscosity in any stores that I have visited other than west marine.
[signature]
[quote Eddo]I have a Yamaha 150 and an 8 hp kicker that I have always used Yamalube 4-stroke oil in over the years. I like the Yamalube fine but as you all know it is very expensive. I'm curious about how many of you use the expensive oil in comparison to cheaper brands?

Thanks[/quote]

Might be some good reading here [url "https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=yamalube+vs+other+oil"]https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=yamalube+vs+other+oil[/url]
[signature]
Just the mere fact that you are asking should be your answer to your question. You'll probably worry yourself sick about it if you change.

Personally, I use the "marine grade" lubes and OEM filters until the engine is out of warranty, and then switch to their automotive equivalents. From my experience, if it gets a little water in it, the "marine grade" lubes turn into mayonnaise just as quick as the regular stuff. I've found that on older equipment I tend to change the lubes more often if it doesn't require a trip to the dealer and $100+ in branding.
[signature]
if you are planning on keeping your motor- why change- it isn't that much money over the year . It's a better product period. I only run the Quicksilver- not going to change and then wish later I hadn't.
[signature]
I have a 150 Yamaha, 2 stroke, oil injected, main motor. I used to run Yamalube, but after talking to several people, most notably, several of our Yamaha-certified motor mechanics, I changed to using the Wal-mart TC-W3, stroke oil about 5 years ago. I've never had any issue and the Walmart Supertech oil has the same "marine" ratings as the Yamalube, Quicksilver, etc. I'm typically very fussy and OCD about using what is recommended, but I've saved a lot of dough and feel 100% confident since the ratings on the jug of oil are what mattered most to me. If they have ratings that meet or exceed the O.E.M. ratings, you are good to go. Also switched to this on my Polaris snowmobile, where I only ran Polaris oil, and haven't had one issue
[signature]