Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life Jackets
I was hoping to get some recommendations on where to pick up some decently priced life jackets. I picked up a few cheap used ones on KSL for the time being, but I'd like to get some new ones at some point.

I'm not looking to spend a whole lot, but I also don't want to die if I go over.[bobhappy]

I'm in the Salt Lake area, so the closer the better. I'd prefer not to buy online, but will if I can get a screamin' deal.

Thanks for any help.
[signature]
I have the Red life jackets from Cabelas. Right now it looks like they have them for $12 each so not a bad price. Mine have the Marking that states they are us coast guard approved for Type III PFD. Seem like they are well made.
[signature]
If you don't have it on, it won't save your life. After about losing my non boater, I wear mine the whole time the boat is on the water. Find something that is comfortable, money shouldn't be your guide.
[signature]
I picked up an inflatable last year when they were on sale at sportsmans. Best move I have ever made, nice and comfortable.
[signature]
I would like to get an inflatable, how hard do you have to blow? Just kidding.

Any recommendations, I assume multiple time use, cartridge? Are all inflate when sense water?
[signature]
You can get auto-inflate models, manual inflate (pull a cord) or some that are selectable either way. All of them have a mouth-inflate option in case the cartridge is no good. BTW, it is a very smart idea to occasionally blow one up by mouth to test for leaks. They deflate easily after you determine they're leak-free.

I wanted a manual model and bought mine used on that common auction site, and the first thing I did was to blow it up and run soapy water all over it. It was leak-free. I'll do it again before using it this year, and I may replace the cartridge as well. Cheap insurance.
[signature]
I just got the brand that sportsmans carry. It cost less than the cabelas one at the time. I want to get my wife one this year. Yes they are reusable. The cartridge is one time use. So if it gets used then all you do is replace the cartridge. More comfortable to wear than the vest style. Really can't tell its on. My wife likes me having it because I wear it more.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]I picked up an inflatable last year when they were on sale at sportsmans. Best move I have ever made, nice and comfortable.[/quote]

Their flyer this week has them on sale again for $30 off I believe.
[signature]
Sweet. Thanks
[signature]
[quote dtayboyz]If you don't have it on, it won't save your life. After about losing my non boater, I wear mine the whole time the boat is on the water. Find something that is comfortable, money shouldn't be your guide.[/quote]

Mine is a Stearns that is a few years old that I really like, it is the cotton canvas vest style with flannel lined pockets and is very comfortable, I have no problem wearing it all day and adds warmth.
[signature]