Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about my Lure's bugging me
Ok I know I am old. At 63 I am not a sharp hook in the tackle box anymore. But I have a question that has been on my mind that I need answered. I have a tackle box full of lures. Now when I buy them I look at the depth they will go down in the water. Some deep running and some shallow... OK I open the package and throw it away put the lure in with the other 100 I have. A day goes by and I go to use the lure I just bought and wham I cant remember how deep the dang thing goes. So my question is why don't they stamp the depth of how deep the lure goes. On the dang lure????? It seems to me that it would not be that hard to put a 3-5 meaning three to five feet on the lure its self without effecting the lure. Am I wrong on this?? Or do they do it and I am to blind to see it? It would really help us old duffers who get Confused on was I launching the boat. or pulling it out if the lure was stamped. Can any fellow sharper hooks or dull ones answer this question....... [fishon]
[signature]
Won''t happen anytime soon. Unfortunately many manufacturer claims of running depth are inaccurate in my experience. What I do is categorize plugs as shallow, mid depth or deep running organized as such in my tackle box after I've retrieved them. If I'm in 10' over a hard bottom and the lure hits it, I have an idea that it will go down to at least that depth. Shallow is easy to determine; mid depth - the same test.

I write depths on the lid of the tackle box under which the lure is stored. Works pretty good as long as I put the dang lure back where it belongs. At 67, poor memory creates daily challenges.
[signature]
I know I have the same problem. And I usually put the lure in the wrong box in hast. This being old is not for the faint of heart lol
[signature]
One of the guys posted a thread about this very thing but I'm not sure what board it was on. He got a small label gun, the kind where you put the message on one side and it has sticky tap on the other, then put the depth the lure runs on the tape and stuck it to the bottom of all his lures.
[signature]
Good idea
[signature]
You may have noticed by now that many of the lures intended for diving have a spoon bill where you are tying your hook or just below the tie point.

Notice the angle and length of the spoon bill.

A shallow angle will be a lower diving depth and a greater angle will be a deeper diving lure.

The actual depth is only controllable by the speed of your retrieval or trolling motor when using such methods.

Even a medium depth lure can be forced farther down by reeling or trolling it faster. A deep diving lure can be run shallow by slowing down the aforementioned methods.[cool]
[signature]
Sometimes I will use a rather erratic retrieval in order to cause the lure to move up and down. I mostly do not use this type of lure, though. I use a jig under a very light float and I tend to "twitch" the jig in order to cause it to rise and fall; most bites occur on the fall, so I like to make lures rise and fall
That would not work for trolling, but I do so little of that mostly because I have had no success with trolling.
[signature]