Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiger Muskies in Jordanelle
Just saw a Facebook post from the DWR that they planted 9,000 10 in Tiger Muski in Jordanelle.
[signature]
Folks worked hard on this project...

6" though not 10"..
[signature]
[quote k2muskie]6" though not 10"..[/quote]

That's what she said?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
[signature]
Nice, I guess it is to help control the smallmouth population?
[signature]
I wonder why they didn't put them in Scofield to go to work on the over abundance of chubs?
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Because they can't.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
Oh and do tell WHY they CANT...

Said the same thing on Jordanelle...but they DID...3-4 years depending on survival you'll see another awesome diverse fishery and then we'll see.

OBTW Wipers coming soon to Jordanelle...
[signature]
Is that true about the Wiper? Jordanelle could become a great fishery over the next few years. I like what they are doing. Kokanee, Tiger Muski and maybe Wiper? Good stuff.

Mark
[signature]
Sure glad that I can fish Jordanelle during the week, rather than on Saturday (at least during the pleasure boating season).
[signature]
Because they cannot prevent them from going downstream, and the USFWS because of concerns for the ESA will NOT allow the UDWR to plant Tiger Muskies, Northern Pike, Walleye, or nearly any other predatory species of fish in Scofield. That's why.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
Really they are a sterile fish unlike the ones you mention...they can control the species not like the ones you mentioned...we'll see now won't we... Smile
[signature]
Congrats to the musky folks for making this happen. With the structure still present there, they should do well and it provides a place in Central Utah to catch them.

As a Jordanelle "bass guy", I am cautious about what it means for me. On one hand, there probably won't be stunting anymore once the tiger population becomes large, however, the concern is that it could go too far and the smallie fishing will not be worth it at some point. They are sterile though and can be controlled. I suppose we shall see.

My current caution may be due to the fact that Jordanelle is currently fishing as well as it has in several years. (of course I expect nobody on BFT to believe this as it is dogma here that Jordanelle has only stunted dink smallies) If we were only catching stunted fish right now, I might be more enthusiastic.

With TM being inshore ambush predators, I don't think they will affect the open water trout or kokanee fishing much.

As for wipers, why not? The chubs in Jordanelle are all old and large, and are already controlled by the perch and smallies, but people love to catch wipers and they won't hurt much. Maybe they will help feed the TM. Give the people what they want, I suppose.
[signature]
In every conversation that I've had with the SE Region Fisheries Chief, the subject of Tiger Muskies gets shut down immediately. Period. The dam at Joe's Valley provides some protection from downstream migration, but they still have to monitor the situation. If they have a problem with the Muskies going downstream from Joe's Valley they will remove the limits and protection for Muskies there. There is no way to retrofit the dam at Scofield without many millions being spent on something that isn't needed. Therefore, they have no plans, hopes, dreams or visions of putting Tiger Muskies in Scofield.

Even when they consider them, they note that they don't seem to be able to eliminate chubs from Joe's Valley, and there is no reason to expect them to make any more of an impact at Scofield.

[signature]
How many preditors can be added to Jordanell before there is not enough chow to go around? I don't fish Jordanell much but it has never seemed to have a abundance of bait fish. What is expected to be the primary forage for the tiger muskys and wipers. Not trying to bust anyone chops, just trying to understand the theory.
[signature]
[quote Fishrmn]In every conversation that I've had with the SE Region Fisheries Chief, the subject of Tiger Muskies gets shut down immediately. Period. The dam at Joe's Valley provides some protection from downstream migration, but they still have to monitor the situation. If they have a problem with the Muskies going downstream from Joe's Valley they will remove the limits and protection for Muskies there. There is no way to retrofit the dam at Scofield without many millions being spent on something that isn't needed. Therefore, they have no plans, hopes, dreams or visions of putting Tiger Muskies in Scofield.

Even when they consider them, they note that they don't seem to be able to eliminate chubs from Joe's Valley, and there is no reason to expect them to make any more of an impact at Scofield.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF][/quote]

Unfortunately, speaking as a musky guy, this is exactly what I've been told about Scofield as well. Too bad too..... it would be a great musky fishery in a very short time. Lots of food, and lots of weeds. Maybe one day [:/] Fred K.
[signature]
K2muskie, do you know if there will be another batch of Tiger muskie planted this year or is the 9,000 all it will get?
[signature]
So I'm assuming that the kokanees they put in there are about to become forage for muskies....same with trout? When they put them in Newton reservoir I remember the easy fishing for 14-18" trout ended and as a result they quit stocking trout. The trout didn't last one more season and they were musky fodder.

I suppose my large amount of faith in our DWR biologists will need to carry me through on this one. Hope they know what they're doing this time because I was really looking forward to seeing jordanelle become a good Kokanee water.

I think catching a musky is cool and all, and I've enjoyed every minute of the fights I've had with them, but they're eating machines......hope they eat the excess smallmouth and perch and leave the trout and kokes alone! I'd also like to keep a few of the buggers if I catch them, but they seem to be the "sacred cow" of C&R fishing crowd.

Mike
[signature]
Our MI Chapter members are on various fishery management teams working with other anglers and DNR on these teams. We are working with the DNR using biology and science and not hocus pocus OMG the sky is going to fall and the fishing will go to crap if we put tigers in. There have been numerous studies on based on scare tactics used by uninformed anglers and land owners. Read about it all... how they eat all the other fish and ruin a fishery...NOT TRUE again based on scientific studies already done. Again read up on the subject and get educated is our motto.

Also on escapement/migration that happens with all fish if there is an opportunity...Trout, Tiger Trout, Bass, rough fish, panfish etc...can it happen with Tigers you bet but is it any different the other fish...and let that be the sole reason not to consider the positive impact they could and will bring to a fishery that is now trashed by rough fish. I believe its way better than poisoning the entire body of water in hopes and its way cheaper to at least consider. OBTW fish migration escapement IMO is more of a problem in the state with the AKA bucket biologist than with a fish using the waterway highway and a few find a way. So is a few natural escapements a realistic view to not place a species into a body of water especially when the fish is sterile...hmmmm...or is this view more on a fear of the species and not education on the spieces...I'd be more afraid the bucket biologist then on a few fish natural escapements

Tigers can be harvested if one desires in 4 other reservoirs. So if you desire to harvest one then head to these bodies of water and enjoy. Only places they can't is Pineview and Newton. Again our Chapter is going to work with the DNR on this and have a realistic harvest based on the body of water. Fish size is dictated on body of water acreage and yes there are studies on this showing fish size in relation to the body of water.

On Trout at Newton and Pineview what did them in was the overall water environment meaning warm water is not good for a Trout fishery...look at East Canyon and the issue with parasites in the Trout. Water level fluctuations and the warm water isn't a friend to Trout. So to blame Tigers for what happens to Trout is based on faulty logic and misinformation. Again read the science and studies done.

Finally the goal of our MI Chapter is working with the DNR and education of the general public on this species of fish. The key we've found is be active and provide input based on rationale data. That's what we strive for and lambasting the DNR doesn't do anyone any good. We can agree to disagree but being respectful and listening to the facts presented by the DNR based on biology and science is the ticket.
[signature]
Pineview not good habitat for trout? Ha, ha, good one.
That must be why they seem to be OK in Mantua.

Pineview is just being taken in a different direction and yes the tigers had to do with the decline. I caught several Tigers back in the day that had trout in them and a rainbow pattern Rapala was my go to bait.

Pineview is plenty good for trout, above the lake, below the lake and in the lake. The deep arm is plenty cold and maintains plenty of dissolved oxygen to support trout.

The problem is not lack of predators in our lakes, it's lack of forage.

I hope they do not put Wipers in Jordenelle. No forage for them like the lakes they are already in.
[signature]
Forage, the smallmouth and perch should provide some.
[signature]