Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice sled (my Smitty)
I had a little time this weekend so I got my Smitty together. I love the simplicity and utility of this design and it's so easy to modify to your needs. I put mine on a 36" stance that matches my snowmobile ski width. This gives me room for my plastic sled and my plank and tent plus all my other ice gear. Now I hope it will pull easy like advertised. Anyway here are a few pictures to help if your looking for ideas. Later J
[signature]
I think it meets the specs for a Pinewood racer. Didn't scrimp on the pull handle, did ya?
Seriously, it looks like it will work like a charm. Be careful on the early ice.

Mike
[signature]
Better put a thick coat of wax if your planning to ski down hills with your gear [Wink]
[signature]
I'm thinking when I build mine, it will just be to hold my tent and longer items like that. Trying to find some cross country skis or some slip on felt so it doesn't slide backward downhill.
[signature]
Hey Mike, yup I like that handle too, wanted one with enough room to fit a gloved hand so I bent one up and grabbed a chunk of peach wood and it's a little redneck but it does work great! I can change it out for a clevis if I want to pull it with a sled or wheeler. Functional but not real stylish. Thanks J
[signature]
Your handle has character. No one will steal it because of that peach handle. When you run out of wood for your smoker, you can burn the handle.

Take care.....Mike
[signature]
Been wondering if that would give ya a good ride down onto the lakes. Probably not crazy enough to try it anymore but it could of been fun in younger years. Probably should put ropes on the back for going down hills huh? Sure it will be tough to hold back all the load it will haul now. Good thing I can get close to lake levels on most areas I ice fish these days. Probably only use this sled on big days when I take all the gear or deep snow days, but I think it will be great. Hope so anyway. Later J
[signature]
That's a nice thing about this design you can change the length of the cross members and it's a light weight narrow sled. Just change four bolts and your in business. I think I like wider skis for more flotation on the snow, but if your load is light no need for the extra width. Good luck on your project. Later J
[signature]
Looks good,, but you need 4 pieces of freeze block,, one wedged into each inside corner where the 2X4s meet the base riser. If not,, side to side wobble is going to destroy that connection.
[signature]
Hey I hope that's true that no one will steal it, probably wouldn't want too, but if they do I'll be out a good batch of smoked trout. Doing this sled on the cheap so I think it only cost $30-$35 and most of that was fasteners and tie downs. Skis were $8 maybe $6 for the wood and it was a fun project to throw together. Last year on Bear Lake I was one of the first dozen people on the rock pile and there wasn't much of a track out there through the snow so I nearly killed myself pulling that big plastic sled a mile onto the ice breaking the trail most of the way. Just before I got there a group of guys with a Smitty passed me and they had a ton more gear than I did and they didn't seem to be tired at all. So I decided it was time to add one to my gear supply. Anyway I hope to be saying how great they are later this year. Later J
[signature]
Good point, just a triangle gusset in that corner ought to keep it tight. I used big stout fasteners, but you're right a gusset should make it rock solid and shouldn't hit the snow up there. Thanks for the suggestion. J
[signature]
Couple years ago when I went ice fishing on north bend of chicken creek I sure went down that steep hill and sure was a blast and crossing my fingers that I don't flip sideways [Wink]
[signature]
Yes sir it's all fun until something goes wrong. As I've gotten older I'm starting to fear the landings more than I used to, but I still enjoy the ride. Nice snow this morning and a forecast of colder temps on the way, we may see ice yet this winter. Later J
[signature]
Now i gotta go and build me one [Wink][Wink][Wink]
[signature]
Pretty easy and shouldn't cost too much. Let me know if you need any tips. Later J
[signature]
Oh trust me I went to work at 4 am today just to get a few laps in the mountain today [Wink]

We have to head out on the ice together this season!!!
[signature]
That sounds like fun, I'll keep in touch for an ice trip. Think I may even try Pineview this winter and who knows maybe even roam further from home. Catch ya later. J
[signature]
[quote castnshoot]Looks good,, but you need 4 pieces of freeze block,, one wedged into each inside corner where the 2X4s meet the base riser. If not,, side to side wobble is going to destroy that connection.[/quote]

This, it has no lateral stability to keep the tall blocks vertical when under the stress of movement or uneven ground. As you increase the load the problem will more likely occur.

Either a triangular gusset on the inside corners or rectangular blocks. Run the screws into the blocks from both the top and the sides to add stability. Another method would be angular metal cross members running from the blocks across and up to the cross members.

The skis will do better because of the internal construction and likelihood that there is a layer of metal sandwiched in them.
[signature]
Was going to get that done last night, but other things came up... Maybe tonight I'll get my gussets in place.. Be good to get it done before it gets loosened up to start with.. Maybe the 2x6's would have been better uprights, but I wanted the extra clearance for the deep powder days that don't happen very often, but when they do, it would be nice to still be able to get out there.. I used 2x10's on my sled... Later J
[signature]
[quote Troll]Run the screws into the blocks from both the top and the sides to add stability. Another method would be angular metal cross members running from the blocks across and up to the cross members.[/quote]
The idea that drove the Smitty was to be able to break it down quickly and compact it for transportation to/from ice. There are many permanent designs that would be better than the Smitty design for more permanent towed sleds.
[signature]