Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Out of Town Guests
So next month (mid-June) I have some out of town work associates coming in for a conference and he (one in particular) loves to fish almost as much as I do, so my question to you is, where would you take someone fishing that you want to show a great time? Oh and it will probably just be after work hours at night, so 4:00 till dark... He's from Missouri and has monster crappie, catfish, and hybrids (wiper) back home, so what do you think will be fun for him? Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Here is my opinion - the thing that Utah has that Missouri doesn't is beautiful mountain scenery. I would not worry as much about the fish as the location. Don't take them to Utah Lake... The fact that you can only go in the evening makes it kind of hard though.
[signature]
I agree. Definitely want to showcase our mountain scenery, mid June should be pretty green this year. Might consider chasing trophy TM's at Pineview. Sounds like its similar water to what he is used to, and you get a good view of the mountains. I first thought about big Macs at the Gorge or Bear, but time may not let you do those.
[signature]
Having just a few hours to impress someone from Missouri would be near impossible. I had similar problem when my cousin from Arkansas would come to visit in the summer months. He just wasn't impressed until I took him sturgeon fishing. Our fishing just doesn't compare to the south's. I would concentrate on the beauty of our National Forests. Maybe a drive up to Tony's Grove, then up to Bear Lake. A walk through Minnetonka Caves north of Bear Lake. Talk them into staying another day and make a long day trip to Nine Mile Canyon to see the hundreds of Indian Petroglyphs down by Price.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Good tip, maybe a trout on the fly would be fun for him... Sure is gorgeous scenery anyway... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
I initially was thinking the same thing, with the Macs, but like you noted time won't allow that, unless he has an extra day... However, the TM at Pineview is close to work and may be a great option to try... unless the power squadron is too thick up there in the evenings... Good option to explore... Thanks for the tip... Jeff
[signature]
Hey Burley nice tips, maybe by mid-June Tony will be open and that could be a unique place to fish a pond shortly after the ice and snow comes off.. Probably won't be a lot of flowers yet, but still a pretty place to go that is easy to get to... Just a little tough to squeeze in our time window... Thanks a bunch for the tips... Jeff
[signature]
I think you have some great suggestions. This year Tony Grove might still have snow by then, but you could certainly get him up into Logan or Blacksmith Fork canyons in your time frame, and trout in a mountain stream might well be a new experience for him.

If I read this right, it looks like there are still 20+ inches of snow at Tony Grove.
https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reports/Upd...ate+Report
[signature]
Hi Jeff, Starvation has unique scenery, but once again time is a factor. I think the best thing to do is take him anywhere the fishing may turn on at the time.. but as was mentioned not Utah Lake. Unless you go at nite for Walleye or Cats. lol

humpy
[signature]
At first I was thinking Tony Grove or the Logan River, but then I realized that you would probably be starting out from the Ogden area. What about the Ogden River and/or Causey? I doubt that he has caught cutthroats or whitefish before and the scenery is nice, isn't it?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hey Sean, I think you're correct with the snow up at Tony, it's a couple weeks behind normal melting, so it will be close on whether its a go or not... I still wonder if there is ice on that pond... If so I'd like to do a June ice fish trip, just to say I did... If I had time, which I don't, but I'd love to run up and try it just in case... Be crazy to post an ice fish story this time of year... Later J
[signature]
Hey Jon, I appreciate the suggestions... Probably won't try getting him onto stuff he can catch bigger back home, like cats and such... but I do think the scenery idea is a great one... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Hey Craig I like those suggestions, I haven't ever fished Causey, but maybe this would be a good time to try it... Probably be at least a half hour closer than heading up my way... Thanks for the suggestion... Jeff
[signature]