Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Help
Sorry to be so last second. I was invited to join some buddies up at bear lake for the weekend. Turns out they only invited me for my electric auger and fish finder Tongue and they gave me the job of finding where to fish and what to use. That's where you guys come in. I have absolutely no experince on bear lake and any spots/lure advise would help a ton! We're not too picky species wise and will take what we can get, Although I am secretly hoping for a cutt for the cutt slam. Thanks again and tight lines!
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
(02-24-2023, 04:49 AM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote: Sorry to be so last second. I was invited to join some buddies up at bear lake for the weekend. Turns out they only invited me for my electric auger and fish finder Tongue and they gave me the job of finding where to fish and what to use. That's where you guys come in. I have absolutely no experince on bear lake and any spots/lure advise would help a ton! We're not too picky species wise and will take what we can get, Although I am secretly hoping for a cutt for the cutt slam. Thanks again and tight lines!

The rockpile is the the most popular by far. Fishing with large tubes tipped with Cisco seemed to be productive for lakers and cutts. The rockpile GPS coordinates are 41.91472, -111.37306. Good luck!
Sorry didn't see your post till today, the rock pile is probably the most action.... Not necessarily the easiest to get to, it's a trek if you're on foot, close to a mile or more to walk out to the spot... Was out there Friday and broke trail it was a pull for this old timer, but the way back was easy after 7 or 8 other groups joined me and helped pack down the trail... I personally have been liking spoons, but I've mostly been catching whitefish... Tipping them with cisco, or spikes both have worked okay... Good luck... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
How thick was the ice?
The ice was 8 to 10 inches thick. We were just off the State Park Marina and didn't end up finding the rock piles. Although, we only had an hour so I wasn't willing to hike super far with the time we had.
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
(02-27-2023, 10:58 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote: The ice was 8 to 10 inches thick. We were just off the State Park Marina and didn't end up finding the rock piles. Although, we only had an hour so I wasn't willing to hike super far with the time we had.

Any fish caught or bites had?
(02-27-2023, 11:02 PM)Foamy8 Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 10:58 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote: The ice was 8 to 10 inches thick. We were just off the State Park Marina and didn't end up finding the rock piles. Although, we only had an hour so I wasn't willing to hike super far with the time we had.

Any fish caught or bites had?

Nope. Although I was the only one in the group interested in getting up early to fish so we didnt make it on the lake untill 2  Big Grin
Time to look for better fishing buddies, especially after they ask you to bring the tools and gather the info…
Honestly, I was a little peeved to say the least. But hey, I'm going back out with a new group of buddies in a few weeks!
(02-27-2023, 10:56 PM)Foamy8 Wrote: How thick was the ice?

Thickness is all over the chart this year, I bored a couple holes on the rock pile that were close to 18" thick, my auger flites were under the ice surface before i punched through and that's with one of the Nils augers with the long shaft..  Other places was closer to 12", but there is a lot of ice it just varies a bunch in thickness.. Some areas had ice piled up when it froze, so those extra layers probably are why it's so thick in some areas and less in others... But as far as being safe, I wouldn't worry about thickness for a while, worry more about ridges where the ice has separated and opened up and then refroze those areas are where you can get in trouble... I put my foot through on the way across Friday, the new snow covered the area and I couldn't tell what was underneath and I didn't take my spud bar for weight issues in the sled, it was already too heavy to pull... Bad mistake it could have had a bad ending, but my forward motion carried me over onto the solid ice so I didn't get wet... Anyway it's ice and you know it's never safe, just have to always be careful and don't get complacent like I did and leave your spud behind.. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!