Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch Jerking at Red Fleet
I’m in Vernal this week for work, after finding open water at Starvation and really bad edges at Steineker, I ended up at Red Fleet where there is 6” of solid clear ice with good edges. I bounced around until I found a pile of perch in 44’ of water and caught a bunch of small perch up to 9”. The first one on Meal worm the rest on eye ball. Got them on a 1/32oz gizzy bug under a 1/8oz Kastmaster. If anyone has a recommendation for another place to go in the basin tomorrow evening, I’d love to try somewhere else.
This is NOT a recommendation as I have no idea the status but I don't recall ever hearing much about Pelican during the ice season. Do you know if it get hit during the winter? Would be intresting to get a report on it.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I wouldn't bet on Pelican having good ice, I'veheard it's bad. However, I'm shocked Red Fleet had good ice. I checked it a couple weeks ago and it was deteriorating, so I thought it was done since we've been mid to upper 40's for awhile now. Check carefully wherever you end up.
Matt Warner might be your best place for good ice out here, possibly sand wash but it would iffy.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
"... 1/32oz gizzy bug under a 1/8oz Kastmaster...". Shawn, do you ever ice fish with anything else? I guess, if something works for you, why try anything else?
(02-06-2024, 04:46 PM)Kent Wrote: "... 1/32oz gizzy bug under a 1/8oz Kastmaster...".  Shawn, do you ever ice fish with anything else?  I guess, if something works for you, why try anything else?
That is what I use for panfish the only thing I ice fish with more is a white with red flake Gitzilla those two things catch everything,  on a rare occasion I will use a Swedish pimple for Kokanee through the ice.
[Image: IMG-1766.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1768.jpg]
It's so true that a good fisherman can catch fish on whatever they use and Shawn I've never seen anyone prove that better than you... You catch fish where there are no fish to catch... Good thing Maniac is back so you can restock on the chosen colors... I end up trying about 3-4 different colors/patterns, I'm not good enough to stick with one... But if I did, it would be crazy glow orange for me... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!