Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12/2/06 - koosharem/mill meadow (ice)
i branched out and fish koosharem and mill meadow on saturday.

koosharem was slow for us. one in our group caught a few rainbows. ice was 3-4 inches.

headed to mill meadow where the north end had enough ice to fish (also 3-4 inches). it was my first time there and we caught plenty of decent sized perch and a variety of other fish. it's listed as having: Brake (hybrid), Brownbows (hybrid), Perch, Rainbow, Splake (hybrid), Tiger Musky (hybrid), Tiger Trout (hybrid) ). i think we caught all but the tiger musky. saw lots of christmas tree hunters up in the area.

drove by otter creek on the way down to cedar city. looked completely iced over but saw no one fishing on it. so, i'm not sure if it had safe ice or not.

i'll attempt to attach some pics.
[signature]
Nice report! Thanks for sharing. [cool]
[signature]
What in the world is a Brake a cross between? My gues would be a brown trout and a lake trout, but I've never heard of those before.
[signature]
i was wondering the same thing. looks like you're right. it's a cross between a female brown trout and a male lake trout.

see: [url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/fes/brake.html"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/fes/brake.html[/url]
[signature]
Thanks for the report, Mike. It is good to hear about some of the lakes down there. I fished Koosharem for a few hours during bambi season and just got a few small planters too. Maybe the lake is going in a down cycle now. Mill Meadow sounds like fun. (I haven't fished it since I was a kid) How long did it take to drive there? Those "brakes" look like really cool looking fish, I'd love to catch one.
[signature]
Actually, it would be virtually impossible to catch a brake or a brownbow in Mill Meadow now...the DWR stopped stocking both fish quite a few years ago. I doubt seriously that any are left.

Fishing at Koosharem was excellent this past summer...lots of nice fish to be had. As the water levels dropped, though, fishing slowed and it became tougher and tougher to pick up the bigger fish. Combine low water in the fall and thus poor water quality with fish harvest from anglers and increased chub numbers and trout numbers are probably on the decline.
[signature]