Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
beginning of a new addiction
I have been a trout fisherman for as long as I have been fishing, but in the past year I have been invited on a few walleye, wiper, and bass trips and have fell in love with that as much as trout. I am now curious what kind of gear I need in the transformation from trout to the big boys.(reels, rods, line and ect) any tips would be great.

PoloKid
[signature]
I'm making the same transitions here. I haven't changed a thing in gear to this point anyway. I have several med action rods and reels that will do the job for now. The big thing has been gearing up with diffeent lures, crankbaits, and plastics. For me the plastic worms and the like seem to be my foray. I haven't done well on cranks or lures. But there are some serious bassers here and I am sure they will have all the info you are looking for.
[signature]
Just dont troll for wipers with your ultra light pole. You just might bust it in half. Lines can be the same, if you are a fireline man, or a mono guy its all the same. I would say the biggest thing is learn the fish your want to catch, and the water you want to catch them on. All the tackle in the world wont do much if you are fishing where theres no fish. I am of the opinion that an informed angler develops skill, and a skilled angler catches more fish.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 2] Hey P-Kid, I transitioned about 2 years ago. It can get a little pricey. I would start out with medium action fast tipped rods 6 to 7 feet in length. You are looking at weights from 1/32 to about 3/8 to start. Cranks/spinnerbaits will weigh heavier. This will mean going to med-heavy or heavy duty rods. [/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Reels, I would now go with size #2 reels(2000 or 2500 shimano, 20 or 2 in quantum,...) in spinning gear. I have a few size #4's and a lot of size #3's. They tend to take up too much line that won't get used. Try backing or leave older line on for backing. With 250 yard spools, I like to put about half of a spool on at a time(this is about 375 feet). This will save you money when you start setting up a dozen rods every time out(lol). Baitcating reels, rule of thumb is anything under a $100.00 is a piece of crap. If you cast righthanded, you should get a lefthanded retrieve reel. Always use the same casting and retrieving hands. You'll get a third more casts then switching hands(read this in Bassmaster). Baitcasters should be spooled with 10lb line and heavier, and spinning reels 10 lb line and lighter(10lb can go both ways depending on the situation and how many outfits you have rigged).[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Oh btw, a real fishing boat can be more expensive than a fish and ski. I traded in my fish/ski last summer for a Ranger [Wink].[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]I hope this helps... [/size][/blue]
[signature]
I currently have a wide variety of reels and rods, mainly ugly sticks. I was just more concerned about my reel sizes, they are towards the small size. I started my bass and walleye tackle box last year, and after finding this site I have a list of crank baits and other baits that I am going to buy when the govt gives me my money. People I have gone fishing with for these variety of fish have told me to go with spyder wire, but not a huge fan, hoping that there is something as strong and less of a pain in the ***. But thanks for the feed back on me being able to stay with current supplies, now I can spend more $$$ on fixing my fishing transportation, the boat!!!

Thanks
[signature]
Superlines have their place. I use them for jigging deeper (70+) water and for trolling heavy gear. Follow what Tomegun posted and you won't go wrong. SUPER TIP. If you use superlines in the winter, put about 10-20yds of mono as backing for the braid. I found out years ago that in very cold temps, the braids do not lock into the aluminum/titanium spools like mono does. It slips off the spool when pulled. I freaked out when a 2lb trout spooled me the first time I used the braid in the winter. The mono stops this from happening. This will save you a lot of frustration and maybe a fish or two.
[signature]
[cool] [#000080][size 2]P-Kid, now think where are you going to fish. With very few exceptions, you only need heavy duty(over 12) line at Utah Lake. Most of our lakes are resiviours, this means we have a ton of clear water. 6 and 8 is the name of the game. I have used Vanish exclusively for about 5 years. This year, I have some McCoys, Silver Thread, and some Trilene to go with my Vanish. Plus, I'll use 4lb down at Utah Lake for white bass. I'm also going to check some Fireline. But, I'll probably use it with leaders.[/size][/#000080]
[signature]