Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where do you look for spawning walleye?
Being a avid crappie fisherman, the walleye seems to taste pretty good for my taste buds as well. I know they spawn in the mid 40's (temp). What is the best method to target these spawning fish? I don't even know what bait is best. What are their patterns involving pre-spawn, spawn, and post-spawn? I live in Logan and I can attack Willard and Cutler Reservoir. Any hints and tips will be appreciated.
[signature]
1ST OFF THE LURE. CURLY TAIL JIG,S. SECOND LOCATION. GRAVLE BARS, INFLOW STREAMS AND RIVERS. ROCKY WIND SWEPT BANKS. THIRD WATER TEMP. 50 IS PRE SPAWN 56 THEY DROP AND ITS OVER. SLOW STEADY RETREIVES WORK BEST. DONT POP THE JIG. JUST SWIM IT RIGHT ALONG THE BOTTOM MAKING CONTACT WITH BOTTOM OFTEN.
[signature]
Hey thanks! So they are not necessarily shallow? I thought for some reason when fish spawn they go shallow. They spawn in rocks rather than a flat, weed bed. My walleye knowledge is very limited. How far out is 50 degree water temps? What, Willard is about 43 - 45 degrees now since the ice melt. I am guessing. Normally how long does it take to warm up to that temp? I am trying to think a place on Willard that fits the description you mentioned above. Any idea would help a lot.
[signature]
Use a thrmometer on a string, mark the string in 10foot increments, drop it in water as deep as you like haul it in fast read temp to get a general idea at that depth, i would take surface, 10 foot and 30 foot measures heres why, we all know lakes have 3 layers to them, in winter the bottom is warmer than the ice covered top. water has a interesting property it is most dense at a temp of around 39 to 40.5 degrees meaning it will hold more oxygen. when a lake "turns over" in fall the oxygen rich water in the "top" of the lake churns with the colder less oxygenated lower water, the area in the middle where this happens is the THERMOCLINE, that is to say this is the area where temp and o2 levels are ideal for fish to feed, rest, live.

in winter there is no thermocline. it is only in the summer months this happens with the heat as the colder water in the lake sinks to the bottom and the warmer rises up, in fall the top cools and sinks to mix it up thus eliminating the thermocline.

so i would take a top temp, 10 foot temp, and a 30 foot temp, then if you want to have fun...drop to the bottom it will be warmer.

use the temp clues to hone in on above mentioned structure in that temp range, and that would give you the best shot at hooking up with something finned.

it really is simple..i take a fish tank thermometer, attach it to some thin long string (so you can carry several hundred feet) string is best, fishing line is harder to control for some reason. get a small weight just over the thermo and voila, you now have a temp gauge you can use anywhere...or there are some available with digital readings, many types..some you drop and it locks in the temp at a preset depth. some send it up top to you. it all depends on how much you want to spend..im cheap i buy a 5 dollar one at petsmart and some string at all a dollar and whatever i have for attachment in my McGyver box in the garage.

hope that has given some insight on water. oh you may want a fish finder to see if there are any fish around there....all of the above anly gives you a approximate depth that the fish would "prefer" but it does not mean they are there, they follow the food more than anything.
[signature]
MOST DO DROP SHALLOW. BUT THEY STAGE TO DROP IN ABOUT 6 TO 10 FT DEPTHS. NEVER FISHED THE SPAWN AT WILLARD. ONLY UT LAKE AND DEER CREEK. MOSTLEY FISH THE PRE SPAWNS AT BOTH. IF YOU SEE ROLLING BY THE BANK DONT PESTER THEM. THE FEMALES WONT BITE MOST TIMES. BUT THE MALES WILL ATTACK ANYTHING.
[signature]
[black][size 4]I have always been keen on fishing for walleye, and in recent years, do it only as a meat hunter. I have my best success at Willard fishing around the dikes, with a worm harness/spinner rig and bottom bouncer, dragging that rig as close to the dikes as possible.[/size][/black]
[size 4][/size]
[size 4]This rig also attracts a lot of small catfish, but usually will product a limit of walleyes. [/size]
[size 4][/size]
[size 4]The walleyes are not a problem to catch, but those damn wipers have me fooled.[/size]
[size 4][/size]
[size 4]I have fished for them several times, and have yet to even hook one. I have tried every method recommended to me, but so far they have me just fishin & wishin.[/size]
[size 4][/size]
[size 4][/size]
[signature]