Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake -- 7/19 catfish report
Went to Utah Lake on Saturday morning. Fished for only about an hour because the wind picked up really strong. Went to the Geneva Bubble-Up and walked out on the pipe about a hundred yards or so. Sat down and threw out two worms rigged with a T-swivel and no sinker so it would just sit lightly on the muddy bottom. Right off caught two bullheads, then a small 8 inch white bass. A couple minutes later, I had a quick tug at my line, so I gave it some slack and then set the hook. The fish launched out of the water and I knew I had a channel cat on. Put up a great fight, jumped out of the water a couple more times. When I got him in he was just hooked in the lip. Only weighed 3 or 4 pounds but it was a great fight. Just reminded me why channel cats are my favorite to catch. Released him so I could catch him again in a couple years when he weighs like 25 pounds! lol

Anyway, the wind got so strong after that that the waves began crashing over the pipe, so I decided I better get out of there before i got washed in. (The water depth was only about 2 feet deep near the pipe where I was anyway, but I didn't feel like taking a mudbath.)[Smile][Wink][Tongue][sly]
[signature]
[Sad] No one replied to my post![unsure] I feel so unpopular![crazy][Wink]
[signature]
Now, now, there, there.[Wink]

m
[signature]
i HAVE NEVER TRIED FISHING BY THE BUBBLE UP FOR ANYTHING BESIDES EYES. I'll have to go out there and try that, By the way what is a t-rig. Also thought i'd reply so you wouldnt feel so bad![sly][laugh][Wink]. just kidding lol. Cats are one of my faves as well.

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Thanks, loanfish.

A T-swivel is basically just a regular barrel swivel (has no clip) that is in the shape of a T, so that you can attach 2 separate leaders, thus doubling your chances. I will often just loop a snelled hook through each side. You can then fish with 2 baits on one line. Sometimes I put a worm on one and a piece of carp meat on the other. That way if the channel cat fishing is slow, then I can at least bring in a few mudcats, white bass, or whatever to pass the time. If I'm serious about the big cats then I'll put a piece of meat on each hook. Here's a picture similar to what they look like:

The first time I saw them some asian people were using them to hook on two panfish jigs while fishing for crappie over South of the Provo boat harbor. I might be going this Saturday out to the bubble-up again, but I'm not sure yet.

BTW, a question for anyone whoe knows: How do I put the picture in the center of my post? Do I need to use HTML tags or something?
[signature]
[cool]I read your post and thought it was a dandy. All the elements necessary. Water, fish, WIND. Well, maybe we can do without the wind.

I think the moderators of this board have a link somewhere for instructions on posting pictures. But, I will put up a thumbnail sketch again.

First of all, anyone with archives of neat pics, and/or who regularly takes pics with either digital or film, should take advantage of the free website offered through BFT. You can set it up in a few minutes, and you do not need to write "War and Peace" to provide content. You can use it strictly as an image folder, for storing and posting your pics on the board. If you haven't done so, work though the resources menus until you find the button for websites and check it out.

In order to post a pic within your main post, it has to be somewhere on a website already. Once it is on a website, all you have to do is right click on the picture...then left click on COPY. You now have the picture captured within your mouse. Start your post, and wherever you want to stick the picture, put the cursor. Right click and then left click on PASTE. The picture will pop into your post at the proper spot.

This works great for illustrating something like the swivel you attached. Instead of adding it as an attachment, you could have just "Copy and Paste" ed it from the website you found it...right into your post. Such pics are very helpful when trying to describe a lure or share a pic you found on another website. I do this a lot from the online catalogs for BassPro, Cabelas and others. Any pics they have on their websites can be copied and pasted, without having to set them up on your own website first.

The one area you will arouse the wrath of BLM & Teroy is to post too large a picture. It needs to be scaled down to no more than 400 pixels wide. If you put it up on the BFT image file board, you can resize it there first and then post it on your thread.

Like most things in life, it is incomprehensible when you have not done it before. But, once you have worked your way through it the first time, you ask yourself "Was I really that dumb?" (Been there, dumb that).

We have a lot of computer savvy members who chip in here. Don't ever hesitate to put up your questions. Or, if you are really shy about it, feel free to use the Private Message service on this site. We gotcha covered.
[signature]
[sly] Hey, thanks TubeDude. I have only just recently found this site. I first found a different Utah Message board, which will remain anonymous [Wink], which was full of bickering and people cutting each other down simply for asking questions. It was insane. Ironically, the posts that were made, specifically lampooning this website, are what helped me to find it, and I'm so glad I did! Everyone here is great. Thanks a lot.

It really was simple, I just tested the copy and paste you talked about. And I got that swivel picture from cabelas website too. I know that I bought some at Sportsmans Warehouse in Provo for like 50 cents a pack if anyone wanted to get some.
[signature]
[cool]We all know the website to which you are referring. I was once the unofficial moderator there. But, the webhost had such a lackadaisical approach to maintaining the site, that myself and many of the regulars on BFT migrated to a more friendly and hospitable forum.

Glad you found us and hope to see more of your posts. Sometimes you don't always get a lot of responses here, but that is not because you are a newbie...or ignored. As you can see, there is a lot of activity here and posts move quickly to the bottom of the page and off into the archives.

But, you at least got a thread going here. Good on ya. Come on back.
[signature]
hey catman I have been wanting to fish the bubble up there, but do not know where it is. How do you get there? I love catching cats and I hear that sometimes the fishing is good there.

jed
[signature]
Jed,

That's where I've caught all of my best catfish. Usually at night, but occasionally the morning can be good if you're out early. The pipe creates a windbrake on the downwind side, and makes it a little safer for float tubes and small boats in case the wind suddenly picks up...gives you time to get off the water before it gets too scary, which can happen very fast on some days. To get to the bubble-up, Exit I-15 from the Center Street Orem exit and head west. Turn left (south) on Geneva Road. Cross the railroad tracks, and turn right at the first stop light after the tracks, then right again at the first turn. You will be heading north now, past a park and past a neighborhood on your left (with the tracks on the right). Just keep following this road, which will eventually curve to the west again, then back north again along the lake shore. When you see a pond on the left (Geneva cooling ponds), you're there. Park and walk out on the gravel road and you'll see the pipe heading out into the water. It is so low this year that you can walk out a couple hundred yards out, almost to the end of the pipe. If you know where the Lindon Boat Harbor is, this is only about 1/4 mile south of the harbor.

Maybe we could meet up sometime to fish there.
[signature]
Hey cat_man,

It has been quite a few years since I have been to the bubble-up. You keep referring to the pipe. The last time I was there the water would bubble up about 10-15 feet out in the lake from the pond dike. What is this pipe you are talking about? It is new? Thanks.

m

PS. The last time I was there the white bass were biting like crazy there after dark. Some guys showed up with a lantern and I fished til about 12:00am. An Asian gentlemen about freaked when he realized I was tossing them back. After that I about filled up his bucket. No limit then.
[signature]
if you guys get into some white bass please post a report i love the fast action they provide and have not been able to find where they are hiding this year

chris
[signature]
[size 1]"The last time I was there the water would bubble up about 10-15 feet out in the lake from the pond dike." The water is carried from the Geneva holding ponds out into Utah Lake to bubble up by a pipe from the holding ponds out into Utah Lake. When you were there the pipe was probably under water and not visible. When the pipe is totally submerged I believe where it bubbles up is a lot further that 10 - 15 feet out into Utah Lake. I recall it being at least 75 yards. Cat_man is there even water coming out of the pipe these days, and is the end of the pipe submerged in Utah Lake?[/size]

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
Thanks catman, thats kinda what I thought it was. I use those quite often as well. I found they eliminate tangles better than any other setup unless theres one or two I dont know about. Which is quite possible. I love fishing for cats at utah lake let me know when you go. I usually go out there whenever i get the chance even if its just for an hour or two and i know aquaman has been dying to catch some big cats too.

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Oh Boy, I smell a "Catfish party" coming on [sly]
[signature]
Now your talkin'![cool] I think I need to give my back a rest though from all that crawdad fishing. It really set in yesterday morning. boy did it hurt. All those critters we caught only yielded about a half pound of meat, if that. We need to go to another place for bigger ones. And I think i know someone that knows where there are some big ones, besides those flaming gorge dad's. Although that would be a good place to go fish if we could talk someone here to take us fishing on the gorge![sly]

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
[#ff0000]I've messed with those 3 way T-swivels a little bit but have had troubles with the lines wrapping up together to create one big blob with the two hooks or lines tangled together, tell me your secrets! I've had a little better luck with those hard wire crappie setups when I've fished multiple baits but the hook limit here is mostly two per line and most of the prefab setups come with a place for three plus a bottom weight line, never know what to do with the extra, let it hang empty, place an attractor, get the wire snips? I like the idea but have never quite figured out a super way to do it. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
Sorry for the delay in responding, I basically only get on the internet at work. Anyway, you are right Matador, the water use to come out right at the lake shore, I remember well the place used to be packed with asian people. They would keep all the white bass they caught, including the little 4 inch babies. There would be about 30 feet of clear rusty colored water until it mixed with the lake water. The white bass fishing there used to be excellent! That's where I started fishing on my own when I was like 12 years old. Several years ago, though, Geneva came and extended where the water enters the lake. They installed a pipe that is mabe 4 ft. in diameter that goes like 100 yards or more out into the lake. It is completely underwater when the lake is full, but this year you can walk out on it for a long ways. The end is still underwater, as is the last 30 or 40 yards of it. Where the water used to enter is completely covered in tall weeds right now. When the lake fills back up there should be some great largemouth habitat there.
[signature]
Yes, Kent, there still is water coming out of the pipe, just as much as always. I'm just curious as to what will happen if and when they tear down or sell Geneva. If they get rid of it, they would have no more need for the ponds. Maybe they would turn them into wildlife refuge, or maybe drain them. I don't know. For now though, the water is still flowing.
[signature]