Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp on a Fly/Goal
So this year I have a strict goal of learning to catch carp on my fly rod, my cousin introduced me to Fly fishing last season and so far I've caught my self more then anything. But I'm enjoying it. I've seen one angler that targets carp and has one hell of a time playing it and landing it.

I plan to use the carp as cut bait for cats. While spearfishing for them is easily doable, I'd love not to have to gear up each time I'd like bait... Yes I spear for carp. FLAME ON!!!!![mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][pirate]

[Wink]

I'll be renting about five minutes from Bountiful pond soon and each time I go there I always see tons of huge carp slurping the surface like mad. So I have to ask. Does anyone here have any tips for flyfishing for carp/at all [blush]... I've very new to it but am motivated and love to learn by trial and error. Usually error i'll admit.

Thanks for any advise !
[signature]
I too once longed for the fight of a carp on a fly rod however being not aggressive in nature in their feedings made me search new ways and this is my findings.

Carp slurping the surface made it easy to target but with what? Well I tied a hook on and put a worm on injected with air and that worked! For a sec than it sunk [bobSad] but I caught a cat which was equally fun. [bobWink]

Now what right?[bobdumb] I used a smelly ol hunk of cat fish bait and they ate it up. Ill admit it wasn't necessarily fly fishing and I dangled it basically in its mouth but hey I landed a few on a fly rod!
[signature]
Just do a search online for fly fishing carp. You'll find lots of information and a good selection of flies to use. I know there are a number of guys who flyfish Pineview and the Gorge for carp using select wooley buggers and crayfish flies.
[signature]
This actually comes up quite a bit on here, so I would search the site, there's lots of info here. If I see carp cruising on or near the top like that, I like to use an egg pattern like a glo bug to catch them. Place it a little bit in front of the fish and it will often suck it up. As was mentioned, buggers and crayfish imitations work well too, as do nymphs like the common Hare's Ear. After reading your other post, it sounds like a bread imitating fly would work for them as well. I think there are some online that you can buy, but they're really easy to tie as well.
[signature]
Try putting a small piece of bread over a fly or a small worm hook. Smash it on there good but be sure to leave enough of the hook exposed that it will set. It is still not exactly fly fishing but I use this method and have blast fighting 'em.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]When carp have become accustomed to slurping up bread...for ducks or for carp chum...they will hit almost anything white on the surface. I have seen them sucking in cottonwood fluff, styrofoam pieces, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I use to make "wonderbread hackle" flies by stacking white deer hair on a hook...like I was making a bass bug or a muddler. Then I trim it down to leave a little hook exposed. I actually began making it to imitate small white marshmallows being "cast upon the waters" by trouters on Deer Creek. But found that carpkind also liked it. You can make the same thing with densely packed white hackle feathers (if you can find them) and then dressing them to keep them floating.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, a lot of carp can be seen up cruising the surface and slurping early in the morning when the water is calm. They are often sipping in small clumps of dead midges...casualties of the night before or early morning orgies. Any floating mass of greenish or greyish material will usually get a test slurp. That's why the hare's ear patterns are so effective.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Carp are surprisingly piscivorous. They have to eat the fry of other fish to get enough food to keep them alive in some cases. So small minnow imitations will also get et when carp are hungry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since carp raid the nests of almost all nesting species they will also accept fly patterns like glo bugs. Otherwise, try tying a small green or brown pattern with an orange, yellow or pink head...or egg sack. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Finally, I have lost count of how many carp I have caught while fishing chartreuse flies and jigs for crappie or white bass. They love that color. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
I watched a guy catch quite a few on bountiful pond using a green whooly bugger. He was matching the moss pieces that the carp had been sucking down.
[signature]
[quote wrightnation]Try putting a small piece of bread over a fly or a small worm hook. Smash it on there good but be sure to leave enough of the hook exposed that it will set. It is still not exactly fly fishing but I use this method and have blast fighting 'em.[/quote]

Why would you do this. [crazy] Why is "flyfishing" so important, unless that is the only gear you have.

PRACTICE!!! Fly fishing requires practice. Sure you can get lucky and hook a fish on a fly, but to do it constantly and with any determined luck...practice.
Just like any other style of fishing, you need to know what you are doing.

I have caught a lot of Carp on a fly. It is nothing special, just my choice of fishing style. I say, if you want to catch a carp on a fly, why not try trout, panfish, bass everything on a fly...
And face it, carp are fun not mater what you use.[cool]
[signature]
"Urban Bonefishing" I bought a 9wt just for the cause [Wink]

Lots fun ways to catch these monsters first fly I use is fly called rainies bread crumb, Works like a charm, second fly is a corn fly pretty simple fly cut flat foam into triangles corm piece size, glue to 20lb mono or flouro line, tie on to any hook I use a size 1/0 hook. 3rd is hotdog fly ... ok the fly gods going to lynch me but it take pieces of a hotdog put on the hook and roll cast it out, let it sink .... caught a number of catfish this way too... catfish on a fly is a blast too.

Never been to Bountiful pond I usually hit Pineview & Utah lake to get my urban bonefishing done Smile
[signature]
Okay, I know there is a reason Rainy's makes these two flies and I do have both and I try both, but have yet to catch anything but moss with either...Sin, have you caught a Carp on these two flies? I will say, there is two other of Rainy's flies that have worked killer for me.

[Image: IMGP3482400.jpg]

"fly gods going to lynch me but it take pieces of a hotdog put on the hook and roll cast it out, let it sink" isn't that like cheating at Solitaire?[Tongue]
You know you can bait fish with a fly rod, but you can fly fish with a spin rod[shocked]
[signature]
Yep caught a number of carp on the bread crumb, the corn fly is my version not rainies similar in design but Mine sinks theres floats maybe that make the difference ... ???

I know I know hotdog on a fly rod its goes against everything holy I even cringed when I baited the hook but It works and works on catfish so ya thats my justification you know the saying its easier to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask permission.... [laugh][laugh]

I knew I was gonna get flack for the hot dog... [laugh]
[signature]

Quote:Why would you do this. [crazy] Why is "flyfishing" so important, unless that is the only gear you have.

I use whatever works to catch the fish. This works for me.
[signature]
Nothing wrong with BAIT fishing....
If you want to catch a fish on a fly, then use whatever gear you have, but, if you want to catch a Carp "flyfishing" then rod, reel, line, leader and fly...no food attached
Which to me answers the question of "why do you want to catch a carp fly fishing" the change of style.

Like I said, isn't that like cheating at solitaire?

Try a haresear for them cats.
[signature]
MarineSpear,
I recently caught my first fish on a fly which was also my first carp. The fly I caught in on was half a orange ear plug aka the cheeto fly. I found some white ones and plan on making some that look like bread. they are cheap and easy to make. I hope this helps. By the way I was surprised at how hard that thing fought no wonder Europeans target them.
[signature]
I LIKE the corn one!!!
[signature]