Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba report
[Smile] Did anyone catch the reort on yuba on ksl last night ? I caught the end of it! They said they would be stocking fish in several weeks! But what kind is my question. [cool]
[signature]
I saw it! And I'm excited in anticipation of the good old days. I think they are going to put walleye, perch, and some kind of bait forage fish in, hopefully a few smallmouths, channel cats and pike too. Now all we need is some water to fill it back up. This has been one of my favorite places the past 5 years.[Smile][cool]
[signature]
I read a report by DWR that they intend to restock Yuba with walleye and yellow perch again. Hopefully the Christmas tree project and other artificial cover they've put in the lake, together with the natural vegetation that has grown around the edges since the water has been low, will be enough cover that the fingerlings of both the perch and the walleyes can establish themselves, and there should be some great walleye fishing again in the future. Yahoo! I wish they would have another project like the Christmas tree reefs they did a couple of winters ago that we could get involved in and help the fishery along. It sure would be worth it. Yuba has been a great lake and my own personal favorite. Maybe some shad would help too, if there's enough cover and structure for them to hide in. They've also constructed some earth "jetties" to control the wave action and hopefully promote more natural underwater weed growth in some areas, to provide more cover for the forage fish and fingerlings. Let's hope it all works out.
[signature]
Now I am by no means a pro and I know there was pike in there at one time but it is to my understanding that pike are a cold water fish and never really did take off in yuba. (to my understanding, I could be way off)

But if this is the case why but them is a warm water lake with primeraly warm water fish? just wondering.
[signature]
that is good news that yuba is going to be back on line.. but as long as the water is comeing from the seveir river there is going to be way more carp in there than any thing else!! but the pike from redmond will make there way down again and the cat's will be there as well might take awhile befor the the pike and cat's will will get to the size they were befor the drain but that should make a good comeback..

from the fuzzyfisher------------------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
What is the "[size 1]Christmas tree project " at Yuba?[/size]
[signature]
They dumped a whole bunch of old Christmas trees on the dry exposed land so that when the water comes back up, there will be some sort of cover for the forage fish as well as the baby perch and walleye. Artificial Structure.
[signature]
Won't it all float away? or did they anchor it all down???
[signature]
It's anchored down.
[signature]
Hope it all works out, now we need some water in a big way
[signature]
The christmas tree project was done January 03, with the help of dedicated hunters. They took all the donated christmas trees and ran a wire through the trees to keep them from drifting away and getting stuck in the dam. I'm not sure exactly what coves they put them in but the trees were ran across the ice and when it melted they sunk.

Ya this project was a great idea and now the water is low they should use the cut PJ's from dedicated hunter projects and make the habitat even better. Hey BFT why don't you email the DWR and get this project moving. I'm sure they could get a bunch of dedicated hunters, DWR officails and BFter's that want to help make this lake even better.
[signature]
The state record pike came out of Yuba, caught on a bottom bouncer/crawler harness in something like 8' of water. So yea--you could say they took off. They enter the lake from the river that feeds Yuba, from guys who catch the hammerhandles in Redmond and toss them over the dike. Then they wind up in Yuba and compete with the walleyes for the limited forage.

For some reason Utahns classify walleyes, SMB, or any non-trout species as warm water fish. But look at where these fish come from. Pike, walleye, SMB, and perch all coexist in many northern waters that also have other forage fish. The problem with Utah is that the DWR either can't or is reluctant to introduce additional forage species, like shad. So when too many fish are competing for a limited forage fish, the forage is depleted and the entire lake crashes.
Heres a thought ! Since the dwr really does not want white bass in utah lake why dont they net them and put them in yuba as forage fish! The pike walleye would grow bigger with plenty of forage fish but first get the structure in the lake or dont even waste our tax dollars on yuba when the walleyes and perch keep crashing because of a lack of structure! Its very funny to me that the DWR keeps wondering why the walleye and perch keep crashing at yuba and they dont know why? I have fished the ocean for over 20 years and one thing remains constant ! Where there is structure there are fish! Try fishing the ocean were there is no structure and you will not find any fish .Structure is the key for a forage fish to thrive.By the way there were some huge pike in yuba! The last days when they were draining the lake i saw several huge pike over 30 inches plus! I have caught my share of them there .
[signature]
Sure they could net white bass from Utah Lake, only problem with that is; costs way to much, utah lakes to big to even net 1/5 the white bass pop, white bass arn't the best forage fish over perch, half the fish might die dureing the transport, unlikely to sustain the walleye or Pike for very long, will just compete with the walleye and Pike once to big to be eaten, their fry not likely survive for long if perch fry don't, etc. etc. etc....
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Here is an article that Doug Miller did back in March that I pulled off his web site on KUTV2 news. Sorry the pictures didn't tranfer over but they show the porject. I believe you can access his arcives on his web page. Check it out. It's really a great plan. I'm glad to see that the $$ we spend on licenses, access fee's, etc. are not going just to pay some big butted administrator to go to meeting in Hawaii.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Yuba Plan[/size][/font]

[url "javascript:void(0)"][font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[/url]

[font "Times New Roman"][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Mar 7, 2003 1:50 pm US/Mountain

In a meeting room at the DWR a couple of weeks ago; the news on Yuba Reservoir was one of those good news bad news scenarios.

First, the bad news.

"From what I understand, they will drain it and get it as low as they can and then they will put a coffer dam in front of the existing dam," said Don Wiley, Aquatic Manager, DWR Central Region.

Yuba Reservoir, located just east of I-15 and south of Nephi, has already been virtually drained by the drought. The plan is to take advantage of what water is left for this year's irrigation needs, and then completely drain the reservoir in September to complete some repairs on the dam.

Most, if not all, of the remaining fish in the lake would be lost.

That is where the bad news of this story hopefully ends.

"Yeah it is a crisis but in a way it is a blessing because we have been trying to add structure and add structure to build the Yellow Perch population to support the Walleye population," said Charlie Thompson, DWR Aquatic Manager, Retired.

Christmas trees by the hundred piled on the shoreline at Yuba last winter was a last ditch effort at saving a crashing Perch and Walleye fishery on this lake. The plan was for the trees to provide underwater structure for spawning perch. The walleye in this lake are such efficient predators that they overwhelm the perch population and then both species crash. It has been a boom and bust cycle that has repeated itself for 20 years.

In its heydays when Perch populations recover, Yuba produced some amazing fish. Brad Cutler shows off a ten pound Walleye caught in 1999. This is a state catch and release record Perch that was caught at Yuba in March of 2000.

But that was yesterday. The data gathered last year shows an 87 per cent decline in walleye numbers in two years. But the drought may actually help a comeback story at Yuba and this meeting was aimed at being ready for that chapter of the saga.

"It is definitely the rebirth of something that could be better. We are quite concerned at this time and that is why we are trying to be proactive," Wiley said.

With water levels down, brush and vegetation along the shoreline has made a major comeback. This underwater video of the Christmas tree reefs show they have not deteriorated and should also help. A change in the bag limits is also likely when the lake begins its comeback.

"I think we can level out some of it with the habitat structures and like we have talked, maybe helping out with more limits of Walleye and less limits of Perch," said Wes Schneider of Rocky Mountain Anglers.

How quickly can it rebound? The biologists say these nutrient rich waters could spawn a perch comeback in a couple of years and the walleye would trail that by another couple of years. A lot of anglers and the aquatic managers are committed to writing that chapter of this story.

"When it is on, it is one of the most prolific walleye fisheries that we have in this state...as far as the weight of the fish and the quality of the fish. We don't have another water that you can catch those quality of fish out of in Utah," Ray Scheible, Rocky Mountain Anglers[/font][/size]
[signature]
Ocean, the DWR knows why Yuba cycles. But it's been the recent increased interest and angler involvement that has enabled the DWR to dedicate some of their limited resources to the lake.

Also, white bass would only compete with the perch. That's why if a secondary forage base is introduce it needs to be one that doesn't compete with the existing forage base. What a shame if Yuba were to fill up with millions of stunted white bass that would outcompete the perch and walleye. I think the current plan is sound.

As for the Yuba tree project, here's some info and pics... [url "http://www.utahbassfederation.org/Events_Activities/Yuba_Project/pictures_from_the_yuba_structure.htm"]http://www.utahbassfederation.org/Events_Activities/Yuba_Project/pictures_from_the_yuba_structure.htm[/url]
I heartily agree. I'm planning on attending the next meeting of the Rocky Mountain Anglers on Nov. 11 to see if they have any plans for such a project in the future. I've kicked myself a thousand times for not getting involved with the Christmas tree project, because I knew about it but had a bad cold at the time.
[signature]
Hey when is the next meeting and where? I would like to get involved if they are going to do the xmas project again. After all i fish yuba a lot and i miss it being gone.
[signature]
The Rocky Mountain Anglers meet the second Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the F.O.E. (Eagles Lodge) at 181 North Main, Midvale. Visit their website at [url "http://www.rockymountainanglers.com"]www.rockymountainanglers.com[/url] for a phone number etc.
[signature]
Wish i could go but to far to drive for me.
[signature]