Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba conditions?
Has anybody been out to Yuba this spring? How's the fishing?!?!!!
[signature]
I was about to post asking the same question, my father and I are planning on going down to Yuba Tuesday maybe Wednesday, fishing from our boat. I will post a report if we catch anything, we are targeting pike mostly, neither of us have caught a pike/musky and we have both spent some time trying. We are going to try in the shallows up to 10 feet deep or so using buck-tail spinners, jig and worm, spinner-baits, crank-baits, and a chub on a hook under a float. If anyone has caught them there and can offer some tips/current water temp/spots/stories it would be very helpful to redfishslayer and I, i'm sure.

Thank you fellow fishing enthusiasts,
Eric
[signature]
State parks website has the current water temps as being in the 40's. I've been down almost every spring for the past 5 or 6 years and usually do not do that well from the boat this early in the year. The fish we have found at these temps have been in the 15-25 FOW range. Once the water temps hit the 50's we start seeing the pike in closer (3-10 FOW).

I will say one year after spending all day pounding the shorelines from the boat with the water temps right around 50, and having almost no luck whatsoever, we came back to the docks at Oasis to see a 12 year old kid land 2 pike within 5 minutes from the dock. We ended up getting the boat and most the gear loaded up and then walked around that rocky shoreline by the dam and landed 2 pike in the next 20 minutes just casting from shore. So I guess the caveat to my advice is that I was easily out-fished by a 12 year old from the boat dock.

Good luck.
[signature]
Daily - are you using quick strike rigs for your chubs? Do you plan to use live or dead chubs - just checking....
[signature]
circle hooks are the way to go unless your using chubs 7+ inches - catches them in the corner of the mouth almost everytime - no giant hookset required

live minnows ok at yuba? im heading down there for the first time next weekend
[signature]
[quote Blackellunge]live minnows ok at yuba? [/quote]

No.

From the current guidebook, page 10;
Quote:Bait
Utah Admin. Rule R657-13-12
While you are fishing, it is unlawful to:
Use or possess corn, hominy or live
baitfish

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
I went to yuba yesterday for a few hours mid day. Alot of people out. Managed to catch a 18" walleye on a lipless crank, across from the ramp. Released to make more walleye. No pike. Windy. Hard to fish. Water level is up. Docks are out. Water is cold, dont know the exact temp, i would guess under 50. Overheard another group saying they caught some pike on jigs. Couldnt see what they were using. Didnt see anyone catch anything but i was fishing. I might go back out in 2 weeks and try again.
[signature]
Live minnows are not legal ANYWHERE in Utah, sorry
[signature]
thanks fellas - i didnt think live ones were allowed - havent wet a line yet in Utah~ just thought id check since there was a comment on here about live chubs and ill be heading down there soon
[signature]