Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake canyon sell off.
I know that some members fish here, so I figured it would be worth posting.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/579811...y.html.csp

So basically, angling groups helped raise the seed money for the purchase of this land for a cutthroat trout restoration project and the DWR and State are selling it off.

If there are any doubts about what would happen if the State ever was able to acquire Federal land like they want to, this should remove it. Say goodbye to your fishing and hunting access as the land is sold to the highest bidder.

Also, if I was with a conservation group, I'd be very cautious about working with the DWR/State in the future on land acquisition related conservation projects.
[signature]
Seems like the State owes the Conservation group some land that they already paid for. Let the State sell off it share and give the Conservation group what they paid for.
Wouldn't be so bad but Utah has de facto seized the public right to many waterways.
[signature]

[signature]
Except this doesn't include mineral rights but point taken.
[signature]
For sure that's going to make me cry when it become private property [Sad] [:|] [:/]
[signature]
Is there any fishable water on these parcels? I can't see that there is, but I could be wrong.

This will not effect Lake Canyon Lake, it is a couple of miles away.

The DWR retains wildlife easements on theses types of sales that gives them alot of say so on how the land is used.

There is a local need for funds to keep good teachers and services and what not. It has to come from some where.

Maybe the Blue Ribbon Fisheries Advisory Council can get the Federal Government to give it some more money to buy the land at auction.
[signature]
The Feds don't participate in these lands sells through SITLA. A deal would have already been done before this. They wouldn't have SITLA spending $6,000 for a couple hours work and then sell at a public auction. The land with all the mineral and DWR wildlife easements isn't particularly valuable. It'll pump a few hundred dollars into the school fund per year tops if it eventually sells. Don't see much incentive for a conservation group to buy as the DWR will maintain their easement.
If you want to see how Utah would do with control of more land look at SITLA's record. Last year it was reported they got a 2.3% return on a $1.6 billion dollar investment. My retirement funds returned over 15% for 2012 for comparison. Of course like UTA they got bonuses for showing up to work with a detectable pulse.
[signature]
Riverdog, Do you know if there is fishable waters on this on these parcels?

The 3 million "seed money" used by the Blue Ribbon Fisheries Advisory Council was provided through federal government grants. That is why I mentioned the Federal Government. The feds give out that money to gain control in one fashion or another.
Not to secure better fishing for the average Joe.

I to love love all the public access we have out west, but there is some good give and take for the sake of the localities.

As for the oil and gas developments in the area. No one likes likes to see it.

I only ask someone to tell me how every drop or cubic foot of carbon fuel on this planet is not going to be used???? Sooner than later!

Your retirement account manager is doing a great Job.
[signature]
1. [quote castnshoot]Is there any fishable water on these parcels? I can't see that there is, but I could be wrong.
[/quote]

The parcel is away from the lake so no, but there are more recreational activities that take place in WMA's besides fishing.

2. [quote castnshoot]The DWR retains wildlife easements on theses types of sales that gives them alot of say so on how the land is used. [/quote]

Do you know this is the case? I haven't read that it is. This is from the newspaper article;

"It’s disheartening the division is selling it without contacting anglers," said George Sommer, former chairman of the Blue Ribbon Fisheries Advisory Council. "The part that gets me about the policy [to return state-owned real estate to the private sector] is the public loses access to land."

It would seem that the Blue Ribbon fisheries person (who helped make the project work originally) quoted in the article would seem to disagree with you.

3. [quote castnshoot] There is a local need for funds to keep good teachers and services and what not. It has to come from some where. [/quote]

I assume you are referring to county property taxes and not SITLA or State funds. Somehow, I suspect that the property taxes accrued from this will be a drop in the bucket. I would suspect more local $$$ could be obtained by a state oil or gas lease and I wouldn't have a problem with that. The bigger picture is clear though. If the State were to somehow to acquire Federal lands as they dream to do, the monies acquired from the Feds in PILT payments by the local counties (I assume you know what those are) would be lost and it is a guarantee that the land would be quickly sold. Very bad for the States sportsmen.

4.[quote castnshoot]Maybe the Blue Ribbon Fisheries Advisory Council can get the Federal Government to give it some more money to buy the land at auction. [/quote]

That would one heck of a racket. Get the Feds to help you buy the land for you a second time that the State could turn right around and sell again. Yeah, right. IMO, the biggest problem I have with this sale is that either the Feds, conservation organizations, private landowners wanting to donate, and others will be reluctant to work with the DWR in the future on land projects if they see evidence that the State will just turn around and sell it off. Again, potentially very bad for the States sportsmen and the DWR.
[signature]
[quote doggonefishin]2. [quote castnshoot]The DWR retains wildlife easements on theses types of sales that gives them alot of say so on how the land is used. [/quote]

Do you know this is the case? I haven't read that it is.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Maybe yes; maybe no. It has to have some value to the DWR and a decision process determines that fact. If you'd like some insight into how the Utah DWR easement process works, check out this link:[/size][/#800000][/font][url "http://utahcbcp.org/files/uploads/publications/Conservation%20Programs%20for%20Private%20Lands%20in%20Utah.pdfhttp://"]Utah Division of Wildlife Resources Land & Water Assets Program: Easements[/url]. [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Scroll down to page 30.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
No fishable water that I know of on the parcels. My "retirement manager" is mostly index stock funds. The State of Utah paid SITLA with bonuses to lose about $200,000,000 that should have gone to our schools had they taken this common sense approach. Sure $200,000,000 may not sound like much[crazy] but it starts to really add up with compound interest losses year after year.
[signature]