Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Ice Fishing Report
Well the lake froze over on Tuesday night. By Wednesday night it was about 25% open again due to wind. However, there is fishable ice in the southern half of the lake and along the east side in several areas. Its been almost two years since there was any significant ice on Bear Lake.

We fished in 21' of water along the weed beds south of Gus Rich Point on at least 4" of clear ice with about 6" of snow on top along with at least a foot of snow along the shoreline. Fishing was good and consistent. We caught limits of Cisco, about six Whitefish (some really nice ones), and several Cutthroat and Lakers. Tried a variety of lures from jigging Rapalas, to Castmasters, to Tube Jigs. They all worked today. The crazy part was that there were three boats fishing off the rockpile. They beach launched by Spinnaker Point Marina. No ice fishing there.....
Anyway, I wanted to get a report up so people know whats going on.
***STILL CANNOT BELIEVE THAT BFT WON'T SUPPORT MICROSOFT EDGE AND THEREFORE YOU CANNOT PUT THE PICTURES IN THE BODY OF THE POST. COME ON BFT MANAGEMENT AND GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!!*****
[signature]
Dude, that looks like a sweet day! Great report, I need to get up there and try her out!
[signature]
You were catching large Lakers in 21 fow? That's not typical, is it?
[signature]
Thanks Scott that is a great report. Are the Cisco in the same spot you're catching the other fish? Also it is legal to snag Cisco correct? If so are you catching them on jigs or the castmasters? Guess I need to pull out my proclamation and read up. Thanks for the report. J
[signature]
You can snag cisco buy all other fish must be released. In up at bear lake now weather is nice a little breeze but slow fishing so far... maybe I do not know what I'm doing....
[signature]
This is very typical. The lakers and cutthroat are coming in on the weed beds to feed on Cisco and Whitefish. This will continue to be good for another 1-2 weeks, then it will slow down due to the trout being "gorged" on cisco.
[signature]
Where are you fishing? Location is very critical at Bear Lake. J
[signature]
I'm south a few miles of the rock pile in 40 to 50 feet there are others fishing around me but I'm not seeing anyone do better. I'm thinking of going shallower????? Any info would be great.
[signature]
BLFG got them in 21 fow yesterday. Find Cisco schools and the rest will follow. J
[signature]
Finally nailed the first one..
[signature]
Nice Mac hope you find more. Does the ice seem ok? J
[signature]
Ice is very solid 6" but this lake is known for blowing the ice off. I think it will be around for a few days atleast. BLFG Nailed it 20 to 30' seams to be the ticket I tried 50 and 75 but nothing at 75 and a few bites at 50. People caught limits of cisco with cast masters then tried for the big guys.
[signature]
That's awesome. Nicely done.
[signature]
Thanks so much for the info I wish I could get there tomorrow but probably not going to make it. Sounds fun though. Thank you. J
[signature]