Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riggin up for Lake Trout?
Can anybody tell me how they rig up their ice rod when fishing for lake trout? What # line/leader? I really don't want to buy new rods so I will my medium rods that I use for trout work? Heading down next week for the perch tourny and will be the first time fishing for lake trout. Thanks.
[signature]
Well - lots of opinions out there I'm sure. I personally prefer rigging my reel with 15 pound test braided line. It is super strong and doesn't stretch. When I'm jigging for lake trout in 50 - 90 feet of water I can really feel my jig and it helps (me at least) with the hook sets. You need to put some monofilament on your reel first as backing or the braid will spin on the spool when it gets cold (yep, learned that one the hard way). Also - if you go with braid, buy the kind that is fused or coated so it doesn't soak up water and freeze. I've got an older spider wire on one of my poles that is junk - it frays, soaks up water, and then it's hard to deal with when it freezes. I've got Fireline on my other reel and it's been great.

I use a palomar knot to tie my braid to a swivel and then use 12 pound fluorocarbon monofilament as my leader. Other types of knots can slip with the braid. I know that having the swivel gives me one more knot that might break, but without it I get line twist pretty bad with the larger tube jigs I fish. They swim in circles sometimes when you jig them. 12 pound leader might also be overkill and maybe I get fewer bites, but I've noticed since I started using it that I've been breaking off less and I've got a bit more confidence when I've got a fish at the ice trying to get it through the hole.

As far as reels go, you just need something that's got a good drag. Lately I've been fishing a shimano corsair that I got on sale for about $75 or $80 a while back and a $30 special spinning reel. I've caught nice fish with both with no problems.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply and the info. Any advice helps as I have never fished for them before.
[signature]
I would make sure and have heavy line.
[signature]
If you go braid another option. Instead of having mono backing like fish dude describe just wrap masking tape or electric tape on your reel it will keep it from slipping. Works great
[signature]
I love braid in the summer with a floro leader but not for ice fishing. Some of the new stuff sheds water a little better than the old stuff when its new but you will have to help the line off the spool when it freezes. I just put strait 12 pound floro on a couple of reels so I don't have to put up with the braid. Sharp light wire hooks really help.
[signature]
[quote makinawfisher19]I would make sure and have heavy line.[/quote]
I always use 8 lb fluorocarbon. Never had a problem with it.
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
Do you need a leader to prevent the line from being cut by the Mac teeth.
[signature]
I have seen some very large jigs up there. Can I use those huge jigs with 8 lb test line? Do you use smaller jigs?
[signature]
Leaders are for less visible line. Use jigs per the size fish you want. I think a 3" curly tail will work well for lots of nice fish. A 6" jig might only catch 10lb plus. Remember to sweeten it with bait. Chub or Cisco works well depending on where your fishing. Good luck. J
[signature]
Thanks for all the info everybody. Would 8lb Vanish work? If it is not a good choice I think I will go with the Fireline.
[signature]
8lb Vanish should be fine unless you will be fishing the Gorge. As far as tube jig size 6" is overkill in my opinion. Anything up to 4" should work. Oh and always use a ball bearing swivel between your main line and leader. Ive straightened out more than my fair share of cheap snap swivels on a hefty hook sets on big macks.
[signature]