Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Pike Article 9-6-17
[#0000FF]There was a report last week that the DWR plan to rotenone Yuba reservoir was put on hold. Here is a cut and paste copy of an article in today's Salt Lake Tribune confirming that.

I found it interesting that they mention only the pike problem...and nothing at all about the carp.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Until they can control water entering and leaving the reservoir, Yuba will never be a consistently good fishery. Any money spent would be wasted the next dry year when the farmers take their share. I'd much rather go there and catch pike than walleye anyway...
[signature]
Is there any chance the section between dmad and yuba has any trout?
[signature]
Never heard of it, but looking at the water makes one wonder.

It would likely get too warm, but I bet Browns could do well in it.

Maybe worth a trip to try it?????
[#0000FF]I haven't fished the river for many years. But in the olden days...when DWR planted trout in Yuba...there were often a few rainbows below the dam. I doubt that there is a naturally producing population.

I suspect that the water downstream does get too warm for trout during the summer. But there used to be a lot of suckers too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
best best news i have heard in a long time for yuba!! now if the DWR would put perch and bluegill back in the ponds and water systems that flow into yuba, yuba might have some kind of bait coming every now and then it might recover on it's own.. [crazy][crazy][crazy][crazy][crazy][crazy][crazy]
[signature]
[quote T-DOG91]Is there any chance the section between dmad and yuba has any trout?[/quote]

Yes, there are trout in that section. But, they are few and far between and generally hang in one specific area that I am aware of. I have caught several rainbows over 20 inches below Yuba in the past 5-6 years. But, they are generally in the same area every year. In truth, I think they are naturally reproducing and not coming from Yuba. I think the original rainbows were ones stocked in Yuba after the last poisoning and those remaining are the result of natural reproduction. I also caught a tiger trout in the same area about 6-7 years ago. But, I am sure that fish came downstream from the reservoir.
[signature]
I think the dnr can see it is a waste of money to treat Yuba, when they have no control of water level.
[signature]