Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine 2/23
Went up to Porcupine on the 23rd with Obifishkenobi and a couple of other guys (Sorry Shawn, I forgot your BFT user name). We arrived about 6:30. Only a few others on the ice the whole morning. I caught a huge skunk, but the others I was with avoided the stink. Fishing was slow. Fished several locations in various depths. Overall we (they) caught 6 or 7 rainbows and 2 kokes. The kokes were caught in about 65 - 70 feet with Dodgers at 20 - 25 feet with maniac lures tipped with a worm about 8 to 10 inches below the dodger. Trout were caught in shallower water (15 to 20 feet) using ice flies, tubes, and other standard lures. One of my buddies caught two nice bows using an ice fly tipped with cocktail shrimp of all things.
I left about 2 pm with nothing but memories of the beautiful scenery to take home. Although I was frustrated, I was glad to get out and enjoy some peace away from the chaos. I am determined to get at least one more outing in before the season ends with hopefully better results. The ice was thick and the edges were good with only a thin strip of soft stuff at the edge. It was my first time at Porcupine, and I would like to get back again sometime this year.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, sorry you have my luck, but hey it's still great to get out on the pond... I'd like to get back on that pond one more time myself, but the opportunities are running out quickly and other plans are in place so who knows... thanks again... J
[signature]
Shawn=EyLayo.

I've been trying to get up there recently, too, but I keep missing my chance; was going to go with you all on Saturday but it didn't work out. If you decide to go again and want a tag-along let me know.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

EYLAYO! Yes that was it. Thanks Skunked. I couldn't remember for the life of me. Very nice guy. I know he caught at least one, but my friend and I left before they did. He might have pulled up one or two more.

I don't think I will get back there before ice off, but I'd like to take my canoe up with the electric trolling motor and putter around a bit to see what I can manage. Sorry you couldn't come, it would have been a pleasure to meet you.
[signature]
It was good fishing with you, we will have better days more like the first time we went out last summer at the Berry.
[signature]
Just the single Confused rainbow that bit my koke rig for my days work. Obi won the fishing prize in all categories. First and last fish, biggest fish, most fish, most species, targeted species, etc etc. Good job Obi. Good company, and fun attempt at fishing. Let's do it again sometime.
[signature]
Thanks for the update. Was curious what kind of Maniac lure you had underneath the dodger.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT, most of the time we've been using Gazillas or Cut'r bugs... Pretty sure Obi was using the same... Crazy glo orange is my favorite color, but have caught them on other colors as well this year... Thanks for joining us... Later J
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I've actually have been checking BFT for years but have never got around to making an account. Hoping I can make it out to Porcupine this week and I hope the edges will be okay.
[signature]
I caught the two Kokanee on Saturday on a pink Ratso under the dodger, I have been catching all of my trout this winter on Gitzillas with my favorite color being white with red flake. In December I caught 2 limits of 15 Kokanee at Mackay Reservoir in Idaho on my favorite Gitzilla I was not using a dodger on that trip, last year I caught Kokanee at Ririe in Idaho on a pink Swedish pimple with no dodger.
[signature]
I hope the edges stay good for you. I want to try this weekend as well but things are really changing fast so be careful as you get on and off. If I make it out Friday I’ll try to post so you know what to expect. Later J
[signature]